Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #1 
SwimmR

Help! New Betta spits out food/won't eat!

So, I've had Starburst (HM betta) for almost a week now, and he just won't eat. He looks and acts fine, and he's extremely active! I know his conditions are good (fresh water 1gal bowl heated) because my other two eat like little pigs. But this guy just sucks the food in his mouth & spits it out, repeatedly until it hits the bottom of the bowl and he ignores it. I've tried pellets (whole, crushed, and softened), bloodworms, and pea pieces. All the same results. How long can he survive without eating? How can I get him to eat?
Attached Images

SwimmR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #2 
Myates

Good looking guy there you have..

Continue to offer the pellets- he will take to them at some point.

Are you using water conditioner? If that is his home, he may not feel secure in there with only one small plant, as they tend to love multiple plants and a cave of sorts for hiding. If constantly on alert/edge/stressed, he won't eat properly.. Each betta is different, and some will take a long time to calm down and adjust, while others will be eating right away.

Continue offering the food, and give him a little more security (and mental stimulation) and that may help him adjust easier to his new home.

They can go a few weeks without food, if the betta was healthy to start with. And they tend not to starve themselves to death as they are little piggies.

Some people have luck with the garlic trick- crush up a few garlic cloves and add a tiny bit of water with the garlic mush- soak a couple pellets in it for about 10 seconds then try feeding them to him. It doesn't always work, but sometimes it does and it may be worth a try if you feel it is necessary.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #3 
mjoy79

First of all, welcome to the forum! And your betta is gorgeous! He looks like what my Jack would look like if he would let his tail grow out!
Usually at first upon bringing a new guy or girl home from the pet shop, they may be a little picky about their food. From what I understand, they're fed every 3 or so days at the stores and not sure what brand. I know when switching brands, it can be tricky at first. I wouldn't worry unless he goes another week without eating. (i've heard they can go at least 2 weeks without food)
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:09 PM   #4 
Rosso1011

It can be a couple of weeks before he eats. My post apparently came in around the same time as the others... the recipe for garlic juice should help. May I ask what brand of pellets you are using?

Last edited by Rosso1011; 12-12-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:57 PM   #5 
SwimmR

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I've been lurking for a few weeks, and I had no idea about all the new varieties that have been developed since I last had Bettas as a kid! I will try the garlic trick tomorrow morning (Starburst is pretty quiet after the sun goes down). I'm currently using Top Fin Color Enhancing Betta Bits. Also tried freeze-dried bloodworms. I saw someone else recommend "New Life Spectrum", so maybe I'll try those, too.
SwimmR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:58 PM   #6 
Rosso1011

Mind you, this story does reflect personal experience, but I tried Top Fin with Rosso, and he did not like them. New Life Spectrum (NLS) is the preference around here, unfortunately though, none of my local pet shops (LPS) offer NLS. I heard you can order NLS online.

Have you tried other pellets?
Old 12-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #7 
thejapanesezombie

When I got my boy he was picky like that too the first week. He'll settle down. When they're hungry they'll eat believe me. If your little guy is stressed and still adjusting he may not want to take the food. At least that's my experience with it. Good luck with your fish :)

EDIT: Have you tried Omega One betta bites? Aldo seems to love those a lot. Maybe you should try them out too?

Last edited by thejapanesezombie; 12-12-2011 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Suggested food brand
thejapanesezombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:21 PM   #8 
Rosso1011

Let me just agree with japanesezombie. New Life Spectrum isn't available in my area so I got him Omega One Betta Buffet pellets. I've heard some bettas like the Omega One Betta flakes, but overall flakes aren't usually welcomed by bettas. There are exceptions to the rule though.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:25 PM   #9 
thejapanesezombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso1011 View Post
Let me just agree with japanesezombie. New Life Spectrum isn't available in my area so I got him Omega One Betta Buffet pellets. I've heard some bettas like the Omega One Betta flakes, but overall flakes aren't usually welcomed by bettas. There are exceptions to the rule though.

And yeah, the Omega one pellets are pretty good. I find my boy wont spit those out as often unless he's stressed out. My tank is currently cycling fish in, so I make it a point not to feed him after my daily water change otherwise he'll just spit them out and leave :S

They can be picky eaters, but if they're truly hungry, they really do eat. I find they'll eat better if you fast them one day a week to give their digestive systems a break too.
thejapanesezombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:24 PM   #10 
Mart2289

My fish was so small when I got him so when I fed him he would just spit out the pellets because they where too big....I gave him the smallest I could find in the box... He eats them now... And He LOVES bloodworms!
Mart2289 is offline   Reply With Quote