Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2011, 06:02 PM   #11 
SwimmR

Thanks, everyone, for your $.02 worth! I tried the garlic trick - no luck. I tried the New Life Spectrum (fortunately, our Petco carries it) - boy does that stuff stink! He does the same thing, spitting it out 3X until it hits the bottom. But when I soaked it, at least it looked like what he spit out was a little smaller than what went in, so maybe he's getting a little something. The NLS pellets are very small, too, so that should eliminate any question of pellets being too big. I just can't believe he's survived a whole week with practically no food. He seems very interested in it, going for anything as soon as it's dropped in, but this spitting out thing is baffling.
SwimmR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:04 PM   #12 
thejapanesezombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimmR View Post
Thanks, everyone, for your $.02 worth! I tried the garlic trick - no luck. I tried the New Life Spectrum (fortunately, our Petco carries it) - boy does that stuff stink! He does the same thing, spitting it out 3X until it hits the bottom. But when I soaked it, at least it looked like what he spit out was a little smaller than what went in, so maybe he's getting a little something. The NLS pellets are very small, too, so that should eliminate any question of pellets being too big. I just can't believe he's survived a whole week with practically no food. He seems very interested in it, going for anything as soon as it's dropped in, but this spitting out thing is baffling.
You tried the omega pellets too?
thejapanesezombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #13 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimmR View Post
If you bought the NLS pellets, I would stick with it. Those are supposed to be top of the line betta pellets. He'll eventually get to the point where he eats a lot better. At least he's taking some food out of it. My guy used to spit out his pellets that I was originally feeding him, but he was doing it so that he could chew the bigger pellets up, I think. Then I learned that he needed a better pellet and it took me a bit before I found the right one. Give him some time to get used to the pellets and he'll be fine.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:17 PM   #14 
NoahG

Are you using NLS's betta formula? I'm curious because that sounds, more or less, just like what my girls did with those pellets, even the smallest ones I could find for them. I went and picked them up some NLS for small fish and they're able to gobble them right up.

If it is the betta formula maybe they're just big enough to be a little too big for him? If they're the small fish formula though...I don't know.
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #15 
Rosso1011

I have not used NLS due to the lack of availability in my area and also due to the fact that when I tried Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets, he took to them really fast. I've heard NLS betta formula is supposed to be really small. I have no clue about the small fish formula.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #16 
SwimmR

No, I haven't tried the Omegas because I just bought the NLS today, and I'm trying to avoid buying every single type of fish food on the market! I did try a pinch of regular fish flakes just to see what he'd do with them - nothing was the answer.

The NLS pellets are really tiny (about 1/4 size (or less) of the Top Fin that my others eat), so I really can't imagine the size being the problem. He seems a little more interested in them softened, so I'll keep trying that.

The other reason y'all need to stop suggesting more things to buy is that I came out of Petco with two new beauties today. Apparently I have no willpower. At least one of them is a gift (for a friend who wants one - I asked her - and will take good care of it).
Old 12-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #17 
NoahG

I'm not sure off the top of my head how the NLS betta formula pellets compare to Top Fin pellets...I haven't taken a look at the latter in a while. If he has an easier time with them softened then that's another good option to pursue, and you could even try breaking them up a bit at that point as well. Or see if you can crush them/cut them without obliterating them to the point where they look like dust (like I managed to do) and if he has an easier time then.

I just figured I would throw out my suggestion because I know, for me at least, it was easier to drive back to Petco and get the small fish formula to feed my girls opposed to messing with the pellets I had on hand. But I can certainly understand the willpower issue -- that's how I ended up with my two girls when I didn't really intend to have any until I could set up a sorority, heh...

Rosso, the betta formula is fairly small -- or so I thought. The small fish formula pellets, however, make me feel like I'm dealing with grains of sand...the betta pellets no longer seem so small.
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:02 PM   #18 
PinoyPooPow

Yeah some Bettas wont eat for a week or so because their getting use to the new environment. I used to always feed my betta flakes but i heard that it is better to feed them a variety. When i first bought him pellets he would do the same but i found that it was too hard for him. So i got one of those small measuring cups and i put 2 pellets and let them drown in tank water for 10 minutes to get them soft. Now he eats his pellets :) I got to get a new brand though because the pellets are huge for his mouth..
PinoyPooPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:23 PM   #19 
SwimmR

Hooray! Starburst is eating now! After 8 days, he's finally eating the New Life Spectrum pellets. He seems to like the tiny size, and judging by the horrific smell, they must taste good too. I don't know if it was coincidence, but I also took the advice of lowering stimulation by putting some aquarium backing on the front of his bowl so he can't see the activity in the room. He successfully ate about 4-5 pellets today, only letting one drop to the bottom. I'm SO relieved - he's just too pretty to lose.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #20 
thejapanesezombie

Yay :d
thejapanesezombie is offline   Reply With Quote