Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-12-2011, 10:17 PM   #1 
Rosso1011

What is up with his fins?

Rosso's fins are looking rough. I just need to guide me through this issue with him (again, apparently) and a little reassurance that this is normal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CuBLXxU4rU

Please tell me if this link does not work.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:56 PM   #2 
Rosso1011

Let me try this again. I need someone to guide me through this. I think he is over-flaring and split his dorsal fin, but I am not sure. I am not sure how to recognize a tail nibbler (thankfully he is not full-blown biting). Some of this could be the effects of alkaline water, the water in his tank has a pretty high pH, roughly around 8.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:04 AM   #3 
earthworm88

Hi Rosso,

I don't think I know the answer to it, but from my previous research (I have one with curly fins also), the hypotheses go from poor quality water, small confinement of tank, water hardness, old age, to genetics. The fact that you mentioned your water is quite alkaline, I suspect it may be due to that? As for the split in the dorsal fin, I really can't tell what you mean by that from the video. Is it possible for you to take a close up photo of this area?

I think your betta overall looks very healthy appearance wise, yes, the edges of the fins look ripply, but I think that adds to his character

Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:00 AM   #4 
Silverfang

I have no idea what causes that curl or kink to the tail, but it doesn't seem to be harmful. I have a boy who has it, and there are a number of issues that could have caused it. I don't think it's anything to worry about unless, as it sometimes appears with my boy, it's trying to separate his fins between the rays.

The water my boy is in has a very low PH (due to lots of live plants) but he seems active and healthy. I don't think there is a reason to worry, unless it starts affecting him in some other way.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:42 AM   #5 
Myates

Rosso.. got your msg, now I understand what you were saying about link- on the msg not in a post :P

Cute guy you have there.
Are you talking about that little strip on the bottom of his dorsal (top) fin? I didn't see any other tears in his fins unless he had his dorsal down too much to see it.

If you are talking about that section then that is completely normal for most bettas to have it..

It does look as if he may of nibbled on his fins here and there, but nothing extreme or where you should be concerned about at all.

For split fins, just make sure to keep his tank/water clean and a good diet of protein, Stress coat can help in fin growth as well.

Is the circled area what you are talking about?
Attached Images

Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #6 
Rosso1011

I didn't catch it really well, you have to look really closely, but there is a split second where you can see that he actually split his fin a little and I am trying to figure out how to stop it from happening. I'm glad the rest of it is normal though.

I think my guy gets upset when I spend more time at my study, like I have been the past few days. I noticed that the tear was fairly recent. I'm trying to work on getting more "plant" coverage and maybe a betta floating log or leaf hammock, but otherwise he has some "plants" and a temple, but he seems to "like" to just split a fin at random.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:30 AM   #7 
Myates

Splits happen easily, and for different reasons- a decoration, too strong of a filter, a net being used during water changes. Some think flaring has a hand in it, personally I'm iffy on that since flaring is a natural thing and they will only flare to the degree they physically can.. I can't see how they could tear it, but who knows.

The only appropriate care for a fin that is split is just clean water, as a split will heal within a couple of days.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:40 AM   #8 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Splits happen easily, and for different reasons- a decoration, too strong of a filter, a net being used during water changes. Some think flaring has a hand in it, personally I'm iffy on that since flaring is a natural thing and they will only flare to the degree they physically can.. I can't see how they could tear it, but who knows.

The only appropriate care for a fin that is split is just clean water, as a split will heal within a couple of days.
Okay. Thank you for the help. I just don't see how it's possible unless it's over-flaring or the filter. He just doesn't seem to have that much trouble with the current from the filter. I took extra precaution to get decor that he couldn't catch his fins on, he hasn't been netted in a while. I guess maybe they do tear their fins easily. I'll up the water changes for a while and see if I can get him to heal.