Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2011, 06:31 PM   #11 
thejapanesezombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Great guide. I confess to some surprise at a 5 gallon being considered a "significant footprint", though. But then, I'm used to 5 gallons and above and only use smaller ones as quarantine tanks. :)
I was thinking this too :P maybe a moderate footprint as my 5 gallon fits nicely on my nighttable and isnt too big
thejapanesezombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:12 PM   #12 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Great guide. I confess to some surprise at a 5 gallon being considered a "significant footprint", though. But then, I'm used to 5 gallons and above and only use smaller ones as quarantine tanks. :)
Oh don't worry, I don't think 5 Gallons is a significant footprint either. I've just come to terms with the fact that a lot of younger members' parents won't let them get a 5 gallon because "IT'S TOO BIG"

I've heard a bunch of members also start arguing with others saying that they can't get a 5 Gallon because it won't fit on their desk at home/dorm, etc.

I've got TWO 5 gallons sitting on my desk at home, but I have a big desk, LOL

Thank you for reading :D
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #13 
Tikibirds

I have a 5G on my desk too. It drives me nuts though - Its too heavy to lift and carry to the sink but not big enough to get the siphon to work on it. My uncycled 20G is less work then the 5G LOL
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:21 PM   #14 
bahamut285

The larger the tank; the less work :P
Old 12-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #15 
Bambi

Lovely guide.
You might want to mention the daily water changes on the half gallon and the daily/every other changes on the 1 gallon.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #16 
bahamut285

@Bambi: I have an approximate water change schedule on my other guide in my signature
Old 12-21-2011, 08:31 AM   #17 
gardengirl13

Nice post! I wished I had this 15 years ago with my first betta. He was happy and lived for almost 2 years in my dorm.

One I think should be mentioned (maybe others don't agree with me though- so you can remove if needed) but my fish all needed different things. I had one fish who was in a 1.5 gal unheated bowl. We slowly tried to get him into a heated 2 gal tank and he freaked out big time! He was put back into his bowl and was super happy. Even with the cold winter no heat for him, he just didn't want nay part of it. Heck we even tried to move his tank into our bedroom where it was a bit warmer on the 2nd floor and he didn't like the change of location! He had to be in one spot only and only in that bowl! Funny little guy! He lived over 2 years so he was pretty healthy.

My last fish was the same. We tried to put different things near his tank and he'd freak out. We had to keep him with one plant near him and nothing else. I even tried to switch it out with flowers once and again he freaked out. We put a cloth under him to decorate for halloween and had to get rid of it.

I've had fish who thought anything bigger then a gal was too scary, and others who could probably go bigger then the 2.5 gal tank we use, but are fine in the 2.5 gal.

I think your fish's personality also should be taken into consideration with tanks/bowls. Some feel scared and never adjust into a bigger tank, some really need a bigger tank. Some want it 75*F some want it as high as 84*F. Maybe my fish were just crazy? ha ha!

Last edited by gardengirl13; 12-21-2011 at 08:33 AM. Reason: spelling
gardengirl13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:22 PM   #18 
Oiseau

Thank you for this! I really wish this had been around when I started keeping betta. :)
Oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:54 PM   #19 
callmeconfused

I love it! Great job!

This is my favorite line, "You will either have to deal with them or deal with me. Your correct choice would be the former."

Also, when you mentioned a betta in a 500 gallon tank, instead of picturing a tiny fish in a big tank, I pictured a people-sized betta LOL!
callmeconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #20 
bastage

Very good info.. This would have saved me a few bucks a while back..

From my own experience though the "larger is less work" isnt always the truth. Some of the smaller "engineered" tanks I think are very good. A great example of this is the Fluval Spec. The 3 stage filtration moves it up a couple notches in the ease of use category even though its only a 2 gallon tank. A 5 gallon with a typical cheapo HOB filter that normally comes with the kits for around the same cost as the spec would definitely net you more space, but more work to keep clean.

There are other small tanks that I would call "engineered" that also do a great job (The marineland eclipse 3 gallon is another good example). I Guess that comes to technology over tradition.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote