Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-12-2011, 11:38 PM   #11 
EvilVOG
Member
 
EvilVOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Detroit, Mi
Bothers me when they price them with a crazy amount, and then don't give them proper care. You won't get your extra high dollars for a dead fish. Everybody loses.

And i won't pay a huge number for a fish that is probably going to die anyway. I don't know how some of you guys deal with the aquabid fish. mailing $50 to southeast Asia and then you open a box with a dead fish in it.

Last edited by EvilVOG; 12-12-2011 at 11:41 PM.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:39 PM   #12 
LittleBettas
Member
 
LittleBettas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
I have a guy with perm. swim bladder issues.... but, 13 of my bettas either had SEVERE- finrot, SBD, ammonia burns, or torn fins for another reason (other bettas put in cups)
I have a soft spot for the worst cases, I usually keep new guys with severe issues in the cup they came in and float them in another tank thats heated.... they stay warm and the heat is regulated a lot easier
This is the thread with pictures (bit down the page) of the set up I use, I usually float two cups, one with the betta, the other with water that is same temp so its easier to do water changes (100% every day)

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=86156
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:41 PM   #13 
Pitluvs
Member
 
Pitluvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilVOG View Post
Bothers me when they price them with a crazy amount, and then don't give them proper care. You won't get your extra high dollars for a dead fish. Everybody loses.
Considering the fact I spend about $300 a month at the store for all my animals for the last 3 years, you would think they would cut me a deal on a $20 dying fish eh? No, they won't... cause they know I'll take it home and cure it and get a $20 fish for little to nothing. *sigh* Oh and it's just a plain ol Crowntail.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #14 
mardi
Member
 
mardi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The house of mouse
Update!

The new little one made it through the night.

I woke up this morning to check on him, and he swam to get a look at me. Still no poop and he still has a bob to his swim, but he seems perky and not nearly as bloated as he was last night.

Depending on how he's doing, I plan to go to petsmart after work to get him a better temporary home and do another water change. His poor fins still look like they've been through a blender, but he seems to be improving otherwise.
mardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #15 
mardi
Member
 
mardi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The house of mouse
I know exactly what you mean, I didn't sleep well at all last night, I was so worried about him. I can't believe about the CT! They're the ones who helped the poor dear get into that situation in the first place! They SHOULD loose money off of it. I'm sorry they're asking so much for him. You know what amazes me, the little one I broght home was obviously bloated and having trouble swimming and STILL he had a bloodworm on the top of his cup. The apathy and disregard some people have is beyond astounding to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
Ya know, I have treated 4 with ammonia poisoning, 4 with SBD and to this day my hands shake when I bring a sick baby home. We're all nervous when it comes to helping them survive. There's a little red/silver/black CT male at my pet store right now that can't swim at all, he's scooting along the bottom of the tank and care barely get to the top for air. I'd give him 24-48h in that place. I want to take him home so bad, but they want $20 :(
mardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #16 
mardi
Member
 
mardi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The house of mouse
Thank you so much for the reply. It's good to hear that others have been successful at treating SBD. I love the setup! I only have one other Betta, Bowie who has a heated tank, that's large enough to handle a setup like that. I'll have to get a divider and practice putting it in, to see how it sits with me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettas View Post
I have a guy with perm. swim bladder issues.... but, 13 of my bettas either had SEVERE- finrot, SBD, ammonia burns, or torn fins for another reason (other bettas put in cups)
I have a soft spot for the worst cases, I usually keep new guys with severe issues in the cup they came in and float them in another tank thats heated.... they stay warm and the heat is regulated a lot easier
This is the thread with pictures (bit down the page) of the set up I use, I usually float two cups, one with the betta, the other with water that is same temp so its easier to do water changes (100% every day)

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=86156
mardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:03 AM   #17 
Brian10962001
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
I got all 6 of my females fresh off the truck for $1 each at Petsmart (bought them out ). One of them developed swim bladder, probably from gorging herself and not having ate in so long. 2 days in epsom salt cured her right up. SBD is usually a pretty simple one to fix, epsom salt works WONDERS.
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #18 
mardi
Member
 
mardi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The house of mouse
It's true! epsom salt does do wonders. Though, it worked a little too well for me. Now, I'm kind of concerned that there's something else wrong with him. I suppose only time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian10962001 View Post
I got all 6 of my females fresh off the truck for $1 each at Petsmart (bought them out ). One of them developed swim bladder, probably from gorging herself and not having ate in so long. 2 days in epsom salt cured her right up. SBD is usually a pretty simple one to fix, epsom salt works WONDERS.
mardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #19 
mardi
Member
 
mardi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The house of mouse
I posted pictures below is a link to the thread I started.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....482#post920482
mardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fish store mwc The Lounge 0 06-02-2011 11:05 AM
My Visit to the Fish Store CyerRyn Betta Chat 22 04-24-2011 06:07 PM
Ever wonder how your fish got to the store SemioticSleep Betta Chat 36 12-08-2010 05:10 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.