Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #1 
thejapanesezombie

question about cycling

Does it sound right fish in cycle if the readings are NH3 is 1.0 ppm and NO2- is 0.25 ppm after a week? Fish in, daily 50% water changes?

For some reason I think I'm having a hard time distinguishing the colours and asked for second opinions from my mom.

The tank is 5.5 gallon. I've been pumping "cycle" in my tank but have since half a week ago stopped that (It's a big waste of money :S)
thejapanesezombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

In the 5.5gal...what kind of filter are you using, any live plants and what are the other water prams- nitrate, pH of the tank and the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH of the source water...type/brand of additives used (dechlorinator) and any other additives if used, water temp and type of water testing products....and total stocking on the tank...

With ammonia (NH3) at 1ppm-I would make water changes to get this at least 0.25ppm or lower...the nitrite (NO2) at 0.25ppm while this is a safe level-you don't want to go much higher than that.....how many days has the tank been running and have you cleaned and/or changed the filter media and when you make the water changes how often are you vacuuming the substrate.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #3 
thejapanesezombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
In the 5.5gal...what kind of filter are you using, any live plants and what are the other water prams- nitrate, pH of the tank and the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH of the source water...type/brand of additives used (dechlorinator) and any other additives if used, water temp and type of water testing products....and total stocking on the tank...

With ammonia (NH3) at 1ppm-I would make water changes to get this at least 0.25ppm or lower...the nitrite (NO2) at 0.25ppm while this is a safe level-you don't want to go much higher than that.....how many days has the tank been running and have you cleaned and/or changed the filter media and when you make the water changes how often are you vacuuming the substrate.
PH is a whopping 8.2
NH3 is 1ppm (the colour is between 0.50 ppm and 1.0 pmm)
N02 is at 0.25 ppm (the colour is between 0 ppm and 0.25 pmm)
N0-3 is at 0 ppm
Temp is 84F

I use Nutrafin Aqua plus (the one that claims to be stress reducing. It gets rid of Chlorine and Chloramine)

I have a AquaClear mini as a filter, the filter media has NOT been cleaned yet (I dont want to kill any kind of good bacteria that will appear there just yet)

The tank has been running a week. Was set up Dec. 8th.

I vaccume the gravel LIGHTLY every other day. I do water changes 50% every day to keep ammonia levels down.

D: Hope thats specific enough. I just want Aldo to be as comfortable as possible :(

EDIT: No live plants in the tank

Last edited by thejapanesezombie; 12-17-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

What kind of test products are you using and have you tested your source water too....

I want to say Nutrafin Aqua plus..... you have to use double dose if you also have chlorimine in your source water and your water will still read positive for ammonia but it is ammonium the safe form and the test product can't tell the difference until the biologic filter is established and that can take about 4-8 weeks...but I would research their web-site to be sure.....

You can do ammonia test on your source water and then add the dechlorinator-test again- then compare results- this will help tell you if you have chlorimine and the product being the cause of the ammonia/ammonium.....

Good that you haven't cleaned or change the filter media, however, I wouldn't vacuum too much either-once a week should be enough...

While you want to make water changes when you have 0.25ppm or greater ammonia and nitrite....this can be tough when the products you use are causing skewed readings....but a better safe than sorry approach may be best...the Betta will tell you too by his behavior.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:46 PM   #5 
thejapanesezombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
What kind of test products are you using and have you tested your source water too....

I want to say Nutrafin Aqua plus..... you have to use double dose if you also have chlorimine in your source water and your water will still read positive for ammonia but it is ammonium the safe form and the test product can't tell the difference until the biologic filter is established and that can take about 4-8 weeks...but I would research their web-site to be sure.....

You can do ammonia test on your source water and then add the dechlorinator-test again- then compare results- this will help tell you if you have chlorimine and the product being the cause of the ammonia/ammonium.....

Good that you haven't cleaned or change the filter media, however, I wouldn't vacuum too much either-once a week should be enough...

While you want to make water changes when you have 0.25ppm or greater ammonia and nitrite....this can be tough when the products you use are causing skewed readings....but a better safe than sorry approach may be best...the Betta will tell you too by his behavior.....
I use API freshwater master test kit. :) I also have a live tester in the tank but I've come to the conclusion that it's garbage because when I test with API I find it's off a lot of times. (I'll just be throwing it out and relying on the thermometer and the master test kit)

I've also found s less stressful way of putting water in my tank. I'm reverse siphoning. I rinse my gravel vac and use it the other way instead of pouring the water in. Aldo seems less startled. I'll test the water tomorrow morning to see if anything has changed or stayed the same, I did a waterchange just now (Sorry for the really late reply!)