Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #1 
BlueStar

Smile Hiya from Taxus, oops Texas

Bout 20 years about I had 7 betta's that lived year round in gallon tea jars since a propane heater kept it warm enough in the winter and AC kept it from getting to hot in the summer. Back then I used some tricks I learned working in a pet shop that gave them all long full lives, but I don't remember what they where now. Know I did have 2 kitchen size trash cans I cured their water in and one I grew live brime shrimp for them in.

Fast forward to now back in the summer while up in the city I bought a betta at Petco. Then decided he needed a mate so I bought one at Walley World and later a female to put between them. They didn't get to visit all day, only for a while nightly. Then I saw one at Walley World that was in a very dirty cup, looked half dead and real ragged fins so I brought him home to try and save him or let him die in peace. Come to find out he is a CT instead of a VT and has made it several months since I bought him. His name has turned out to be FancyDan, while the first blue male I got is named DaddyO (pretty old when I bought him since he was full size), female is BlueGirl and the yellow/white one is KnightInWhiteSatin, he's quiet a show off.
They joined the rest of my crew living in the country-2 dogs, donkey & mule, 8 cats, rabbit and coons that hang in the barn. Down sizing to things that are easier to haul food for in my older age :).

Stumbled on this forum to find out current info on betta's which is really nice. Hopefully the question I posted will be answered tonight since I need to do another water change tomorrow. Had to stop and feed the outside before it got real dark before this post, since I don't like being around the coons in the dark. Never know if a sick one will attack or have rabies and I had to burry one last week. I've seen how one that was trained to attack acted years ago and I denfinately do not want to tangle with something like that in the dark :).
BlueStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello, BlueStar and welcome to the forum. I wouldn't want to be attacked by something like that in the dark, either.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #3 
BlueStar

Thanks for the welcome dramaqueen.
So far all of them have been friendly to me or run away, but they sure are gumpy with each other unless it's mother & child. About time for them to make new babies though so the last batch are learning mom's not like she use to be LOL.
I try to keep them away from me though because I don't want them to become pest to others or be harmed by others.
BlueStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:45 AM   #4 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hi BlueStar,

Welcome to TFK We're glad you found us and hope you enjoy your time here.

It sounds like you have your hands full with the wild life there. I've seen a rabid racoon once and it is something I never want to see again **shivers**
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:07 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping...again...lol...Nice to meet you....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #6 
irbyma7297

Talking

hi!
Nice to meet you!
Lolz, im so paranoid,
when i read :
Quote:
I had 7 betta's that lived year round in gallon tea jars
I went straight down to the quick reply thing and almost SCREAMED at you to change them every day,
Lolz,
i keep prince in a one gal tank,
But jars just seem too small to me.
But it's okay, just clean it often
irbyma7297 is offline   Reply With Quote