Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2011, 12:03 AM   #1 
iLikeBetta808

Update on my betta.

this is an update for my previous posts.
i decided to name him Flare. because he's very active and likes to flare at everything -__-

i bought a 7.5w Hydor heater, in replace of the Tetra preset heater that didn't work. i also got Aquarium salt and stress coat (incase the black tips on his tail gets worse), and a new thermometer.

i still need to buy more plants and decor.
when i got home, i realized i was running out of water conditioner, but i remembered that the stress coat is also a water conditioner. lolol.

anyways, important question!
i am going on a trip for four days, and planning to give to a relative with specific feeding instructions. but i'm worried about water changing. will he be fine without water changing for 4 days?
Attached Images

iLikeBetta808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:56 AM   #2 
EvilVOG

most likely 4 days will be ok, but first how big is the tank, and what is he going to be fed with?

Yeah i ran into the water conditioner issue... the betta-specific conditioners just don't last long enough. I went with prime as it was highly reccomended. But i hear good things about stress coat as well.

He's looking good!
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:37 AM   #3 
iLikeBetta808

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilVOG View Post
most likely 4 days will be ok, but first how big is the tank, and what is he going to be fed with?

Yeah i ran into the water conditioner issue... the betta-specific conditioners just don't last long enough. I went with prime as it was highly reccomended. But i hear good things about stress coat as well.

He's looking good!
the tank is 2gal. and i feed him 3 Aqueon Betta pellets, twice a day.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:41 AM   #4 
iLikeBetta808

idk if i get the junk thermometers, but it keeps saying that it's 84deg. -_-
Old 12-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #5 
Myates

Nice looking guy.. I have those same plants in my little girl's tank hehe..
Glad to hear he is doing good :)

The thermometer is most likely correct- pre set small heaters can easily over heat the tank. I would monitor it closely, or do a 100% water change (unplug the heater), and fill it up with water that is 76* and see if the heater will raise back up that high.
84 won't harm him, a lot of breeders use that temp- but keep an eye on it, unsure how those bottom heaters are to begin with, and especially with no substrate over it.

4 days will be fine without a water change- in fact it would be healthier and safer if he wasn't fed during those 4 days so his water will stay clean.
I suggest water change (100%) the day before you leave, hold all food, and feed once you get home- at at the earliest, your relative can feed 2 days after you leave/return- so he has some food, but it's at a point where it's close enough to your return it shouldn't cause too much trouble with the water. Especially since you say he may have a bit of fin rot- the cleaner water would be beneficial to him over eating.
Don't worry about him not eating, as they can go a good few weeks with no food if healthy.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #6 
vilmarisv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
The thermometer is most likely correct- pre set small heaters can easily over heat the tank. I would monitor it closely, or do a 100% water change (unplug the heater), and fill it up with water that is 76* and see if the heater will raise back up that high.
This is a good suggestiong to test you heater but please try it without the fish being in the water. The sudden temp change will harm you fish.

The reason why your thermometer says 84 degrees is because of the type of thermometer.
Those will never turn off and will constantly heat the water, no matter how warm it already is.
You fish should be ok at 84 but I will keep a close eye on that temperature and make sure it doesn't get higher.

As previously posted, you r fish will be fine for 4 days... would be fine even longer. He will be happy to see you're back!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:33 PM   #7 
iLikeBetta808

thank you! i turned off the heater overnight, woke up several times to check the temp. and it dropped down to about 78-80*. i thought it would be colder since it's winter time. i poked my finger in the water for a little, and it felt colder.

Tags
betta