Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2011, 08:55 PM   #1 
copperarabian

Something is very wrong with my fish

I noticed my betta had red things coming out of it, and a little bit of pine coning on the belly. I'm worried about him and I have no idea what this is, but it seems like some sort of parasite :( I just moved him into my 2.5g with another male(not permanent) and before I moved him he was fine. My other fish has been keeping his fins clamped the last couple of days also, but in behavior they haven't changed.

Pine coning

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? another male betta

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? aqueon betta food
How often do you feed your betta fish? everyday

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? everyday
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 80 one day, then 100 the next
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? tetra plus

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? slightly paler, but only a little
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? not eating
When did you start noticing the symptoms? today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? less then a year
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #2 
Sakura8

I'm so sorry, Copper. I've got to be honest, these worms are really hard to get rid of because the only effective way to treat is via medicated food. If they won't eat, like my Anderson, it's nigh unto impossible to get rid of the worms. I left some info on the Self-Control thread for you.

If you get Safe-Guard, try to crush the granules up into powder. The granules, I found, don't dissolve well.

I also treated all my tanks with praziquantel as a precaution. These are pretty contagious worms on top of everything else. They're a nightmare.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:47 PM   #3 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
I'm so sorry, Copper. I've got to be honest, these worms are really hard to get rid of because the only effective way to treat is via medicated food. If they won't eat, like my Anderson, it's nigh unto impossible to get rid of the worms. I left some info on the Self-Control thread for you.

If you get Safe-Guard, try to crush the granules up into powder. The granules, I found, don't dissolve well.

I also treated all my tanks with praziquantel as a precaution. These are pretty contagious worms on top of everything else. They're a nightmare.
That's so scary, I REALLY hope he got it from the 2.5g aquarium, because if the fry end up getting it they'll probably not make it. They're father seems fine, as well as the other 2 who where in there.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:27 AM   #4 
Sakura8

:( I'm so sorry, Copper. I'm definitely saying fishy prayers for you and your fry. Let me know if the medicated worms work out. If not and you want to try the flakes, maybe I could mail some to you. I've got plenty.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:50 AM   #5 
Pitluvs

Our province was hit with the c worms over the summer, lots of pet stores had infestations with them. We never caught them thankfully, but I can only imagine how horrible it must be to treat. Hoping your fishes rid these worms, and I hope no one else catches them (both you and Sakura). :(
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:51 AM   #6 
earthworm88

Yikes! another case of Camallanus! I know both of you are from the Sunshine State of California, but is it possible to get hold of Levamisole (aka Ergamisole) there too? Sakura, sorry I don't remember if you had tried to get this med in the past?
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:15 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Oh, is that other name of levamisole? Ergamisole? I asked my vet clinic about levamisole and they had not heard of it. They hadn't heard of flubenazole either so I wonder if I wrote the names down right. I was probably a little muddled at the time.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:25 AM   #8 
earthworm88

I think Ergamisole is one of the trade names in the market. Any wet vet should know or heard about Levamisole or Flubendazole I know there is a doctor from St. Louis who could mail the Levamisole (forgot about the details but in one of the many links I sent you, but can find it again if necessary) as I believe it is extremely difficult to find Levamisole as well. Darkmoon would likely be more privy to this than I am.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:30 AM   #9 
steftravels

Can humans catch this from the fish?
steftravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:11 AM   #10 
earthworm88

Quote:
Originally Posted by steftravels View Post
Can humans catch this from the fish?
I haven't read anything about this specific camallanus species will invade and live in humans, but i think it is highly unlikely. I will stand corrected if I am wrong here. However, disinfection of hands or any part of your body coming in contact with the water or equipments should be done if you are currently battling this as you do not want to cross contaminate. As a ROT, extra caution should always be taken at all times anyways, no matter what disease you are dealing with. Better be safe than sorry