Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2011, 09:42 PM   #21 
LittleBettaFish

Just be careful with her. My mum's galah escaped because something scared him when he was playing with the dogs. She thinks someone found him because she could hear him whistling sometimes and he was very friendly.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:47 PM   #22 
Sakura8

Copper, someday I want to come see you so I can see Rosie and Dante. I would love to see you working with them. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:51 PM   #23 
copperarabian

@Sakura
That would be awesome if you could see them sometime :) The training probably wouldn't be that interesting yet, I do them in 5-15 minutes randomly through out the day so they stay interested and don't become uninterested. Once Rosie has recalling started it will be more interesting :D

Quote:
Just be careful with her. My mum's galah escaped because something scared him when he was playing with the dogs. She thinks someone found him because she could hear him whistling sometimes and he was very friendly.
Once she's fully flighted I'll be very careful, she has a harness for outside and I might use it downstairs at first so she doesn't get scared and crash into window or mirror and seriously harm herself O.O
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #24 
Sakura8

:) I'd also love to see your cichlid tank. Something tells me your room must be absolutely fascinating, with the fish and birds.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:57 PM   #25 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post
Do you really have a leash on your cockateil?[she's a cockatoo] What if Rosie tries to fly away? How would you perch it on your hand/other place?
It's a harness for birds, when I have her on my hand I wrap it through my fingers so if she fly's she can't get far, a bird who isn't trained to free fly and in good shape can easily get scared and once in the sky they don't have the proper endurance to fly. Even in a small breeze a bird can loose control and become exhausted trying to get back to you before eventually being blown away(it's windier the higher you go too). Plus with a little wind any bird can get lift, even if they're wings are clipped.

The leash part doesn't really get in her way, it mostly just annoys her lol When I carry Rosie I have her facing me, this way when she gets scared and fly's she either gets on my shoulder, or clings to my shirt while flapping until my hand is under her and she steps back up. When she fly's away from me she goes towards the ground since her wings are clipped and I lower her slowly so she doesn't hurt her keen or any other muscles/bones. I'm currently letting her wings grow back in so she can fly outside for exercise, Galah cockatoo's can loose 20 years of they're life from becoming overweight and developing fatty tumors. The hard part will be motivating her to fly, then getting her in shape.

Well you've educated me a lot! My grandmother is a bird fiend! She has has a bird about 1 1/2 foot tall and also has trained her birds to dance, and say the normal things like hello, goodbye and I love you, ect.

In ignorance, I honestly thought that there weren't more than 1 kind of cockatoo. And I think i'll stick with the cockateil, if I ever do get one. When I was younger, I remeber being chased by one of my grandmother's horrible birds that were just knee high at times and I thought they were the birdy versions of godzilla and it could fly so that made it no easier to get away from.

That's so scary! Large birds can do some serious damage, especially to a kid. Was it a cockatoo? Umbrellas are pretty big, as well as sulfur crested. Click on this if you want to see what a bad bite looks like, a guy got bit on his lip by his umbrella cockatoo http://www.charlieandpeggy.com/cockatoobite1.jpg

You really know your stuff! I think the bird harness is a great idea just like the dog, iguana ect. harness. Though what if he were to try and fly while you are walking where there is no place for him to land? Would you just pull him back, or what will you usually do?

Also, as for me, it was terrifying for me to run away from a huge parrot that just a minute ago I thought birds were so cute and wanted a parakeet, but at the same time I thought of that bird that was chasing me and made up my mind to just get a guinea pig. So I've had cavvys when i was younger and enjoyed them for many years.

Anyway, I see that I was starting to rant and keep going on...To get to the point, (Luckily I was never bit by her) she scratched me many times and was so jealous of all the kids in the house, but was so in love with my grandmother and had such an amazing bond with her it was unbelievable.

When you said that birds sometimes get confused and think they are humans. I think she felt this way.

I love your birds and especially like the dark pink color on her! It's very unique and unlike many things I have never seen before.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:17 PM   #26 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
You really know your stuff! I think the bird harness is a great idea just like the dog, iguana ect. harness. Though what if he were to try and fly while you are walking where there is no place for him to land? Would you just pull him back, or what will you usually do?

Also, as for me, it was terrifying for me to run away from a huge parrot that just a minute ago I thought birds were so cute and wanted a parakeet, but at the same time I thought of that bird that was chasing me and made up my mind to just get a guinea pig. So I've had cavvys when i was younger and enjoyed them for many years.

Anyway, I see that I was starting to rant and keep going on...To get to the point, (Luckily I was never bit by her) she scratched me many times and was so jealous of all the kids in the house, but was so in love with my grandmother and had such an amazing bond with her it was unbelievable.

When you said that birds sometimes get confused and think they are humans. I think she felt this way.

I love your birds and especially like the dark pink color on her! It's very unique and unlike many things I have never seen before.
When I don't want her to land I just don't lower her to the ground and get my hand back under her so she'll step back onto my hand XD If she where to fly straight I could just real her back in, her leash is only about 4 feet long since she's not currently flying. Once she's flying I'll go out and get her a 20" leash :)

Birds have very sharp nails, I need to clip Rosie's nails again and when I take her out I'll bring a glove with me so my hand doesn't get cuts. I normally wouldn't but my mom works with very sick/injured/cancer people and is very paranoid about infections.

I took some photo's of Dante while I was exercising her, I have her fly to me, and also to a chair. I use the chair more for exercising then training.

This one isn't really good, but I think it's kinda cool looking
Old 12-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #27 
LittleBettaFish

Does your cockatiel like getting in your hair? Whenever we used to let our male out he would always just sit on my head and groom my hair. That, and chew the ends of my pencils.

Seeing your photos is making me all nostalgic. But with four inside cats and three dogs, I don't think a bird would feel very comfortable at our house.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #28 
copperarabian

Mine likes playing with my bangs, and Rosie likes preening my hair and she licks my forehead lol

Last edited by copperarabian; 12-14-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #29 
Calmwaters

They are beautiful!
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #30 
bettalover2033

@Copperarabian: Now I see. I love those pictures. The last one has a very "ghosty" look to it.

I definitely want a cockateil. Parakeets are beautiful, but they are little chatterboxes and usually very loud when in a group.

Now it's just a matter of money, and research that's stopping me lol!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote