Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #1 
Kytkattin

Unhappy Divider Failure

Last night, after moving my tank(s) 200 miles, I set them up and went to bed. When I got up in the morning, Kamehameha was on Smaug's side, and Smaug was hiding near the bottom. Smaug is fairly shredded, but it is all fin damage, not bodily damage. He was really upset, just staying at the bottom, but I figured it was his ego, not anything else. So I shooed him out of his hiding spot with my hand and fed him. Truly, the way to any man's heart is through his stomach! He is back to patrolling his territory, even flaring at Kamehameha. Phew. I am glad that my two are fairly mild mannered fish.

As for how the divider failed:
Well, there is a giant hole in it for the giant rock. The rock must have shifted about a cm over and that left a gap just big enough for Kamehameha to squeeze through. It was easy to move back, but it doesn't look the same any more. The divider now is visible when looking at the tank straight on. I will be growing the Christmas moss over it, so it should not only look better (even better than before!), but also create a buffer in case this ever happens again. The moss will be able to at least hide any holes, if not fill them in completely. They also won't be able to see each other any more, once it has filled in.

I am actually happy that it failed where it did, not at the sides. I knew I was taking a risk when I had the rock in there, it failed because I did too much in one day and didn't check everything close enough. It was late at night when I got home, and I just wasn't thinking.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:57 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

Just to add, I have been watching the tank for about 5 hours now and the divider is 100% solid again. Kamehameha went right back to where the hole had been before and wasn't able to find any way to get through. :) Also, the snail that lives with Smaug is also fine. There is a reason that Kamehameha doesn't have a snail...
Old 12-13-2011, 03:17 PM   #3 
JAB91

LOL!!! That made me crack up " there is a reason Kamehameha doesn't have a snail.." xD. Poor Kamehameha :}
JAB91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:26 PM   #4 
Kytkattin

The funny thing is that I did actually just find a snail on Kamehameha's side of the tank... I think it is the one I thought I threw away on accident when I removed some plants. I also happened to transplant some plants into Kamehameha's tank that same day, and I guess the little guy was on one of those plants! I will probably move him though. For his own safety!
Old 12-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #5 
ErrantWhimsy

Kamehameha is my new favorite name for a fish.
ErrantWhimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #6 
danifacetastic

Can you post a picture of your dividers? I'm just interested in how this is set up.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote