Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #1 
danifacetastic

Could shrimp have made my fish sick?

Okay so around Halloween I got 6 ghost shrimp to put in my 10 gallon tank divided 3 ways. I do 50% water changes once a week, it's usually around 74 or 76 degrees, and my parameters are fine. By the time 2 weeks had passed all my shrimp were dead. A few weeks later I noticed my veil tails bloat was getting worse and he was slow and lethargic so I QT'D him and used epsom salt. Then the other two fish in the tank were getting slimy blobs on their tail. On one of the fish it fell off but the other one it fell off and his tail was all cut up. The fish with the cut up tail i came home from work one night (he was fine that morning) and he was laying on his side gasping for air so i cupped him and secured him to the side of the tank. He didn't even make it through the night. So within the next 24 hours I did water changes and now I still have the other fish and the bloated one (who isn't AS bloated now).

My question is do you think any of this could have been related to the shrimp?
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #2 
MarcusTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by danifacetastic View Post
Okay so around Halloween I got 6 ghost shrimp to put in my 10 gallon tank divided 3 ways. I do 50% water changes once a week, it's usually around 74 or 76 degrees, and my parameters are fine. By the time 2 weeks had passed all my shrimp were dead. A few weeks later I noticed my veil tails bloat was getting worse and he was slow and lethargic so I QT'D him and used epsom salt. Then the other two fish in the tank were getting slimy blobs on their tail. On one of the fish it fell off but the other one it fell off and his tail was all cut up. The fish with the cut up tail i came home from work one night (he was fine that morning) and he was laying on his side gasping for air so i cupped him and secured him to the side of the tank. He didn't even make it through the night. So within the next 24 hours I did water changes and now I still have the other fish and the bloated one (who isn't AS bloated now).

My question is do you think any of this could have been related to the shrimp?
first id like to say 74-76F is to cold for a beta it should be 76-80 even 82 is fine do you use water conditioner ? do you have a heater running ?
MarcusTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:31 PM   #3 
danifacetastic

I have a heater. I did have a 25 watt heater and upped to 100 watt and it still keeps the temp that low. I live in the mountains so it's really cold. There's nothing else I can do about the heat. I use Prime water conditioner.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #4 
kfryman

Is the heater adjustable?
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:35 PM   #5 
danifacetastic

Unfortunatly it's not. It's supposed to keep the water at 78.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:57 PM   #6 
thekoimaiden

It is very possible that those shrimp brought something with them. Did you pour the water that the shrimp came in into the tank? Did you quarantine the shrimp before you added them? The fish in the tank the shrimp came from, how did they look?

I know how cold it can get in the Appalachian mountains. We understand that you are doing your best. It could be a water circulation problem. I had a problem where I couldn't keep my tank at the right temp, so I increased the water circulation. Worked like a charm. The whole tank is now 79F.

EDIT: Preset heaters just keep the temp a certain number of degrees above room temp. If there is any way to increase the room temp, that would help the tank water stay warmer.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:27 PM   #7 
Sakura8

I second Koimaiden. Even shrimp probably should be QTed if you have any doubts. They may not get sick themselves but they could easily bring in a bacteria.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:52 PM   #8 
danifacetastic

I didn't QT the shrimp when I put them in the tank which was probably stupid on my part. I don't even remember if there were fish in the tank or if they were by themselves. Unfortunatly too there's really no way to increase room temp because my grandma won't set the heater any higher then it already is. It used to be a lot colder in the tank though and they've been okay. How can I increase circulation in a divided tank though?

EDIT: I didn't pour the shrimp water into the tank, I netted the shrimp.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:11 AM   #9 
Sakura8

Don't worry, I tend to forget to QT things too. :(

You can increase circulation by using an airstone or even putting a sponge filter in a corner of the tank. Be forewarned: the bubbling noise can be annoying if the tank is in your bedroom and you're trying to sleep.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:16 AM   #10 
danifacetastic

What do you mean about the sponge filter? And I used to have an airstone but my fish hated it cause it blew them around.