Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #1 
Super Sly

Some cycling questions

Ok...so I was wondering if I take the filter out of one of my established tanks and move it to a new one that the cycle hasn't started in yet if the filter would jump start the cycle in the new tank
Super Sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:06 PM   #2 
Super Sly

And how long would it take for the cycle to be good for fish
Old 12-16-2011, 06:46 PM   #3 
Tomsk

A cycled tank is one that has enough benifical bacteria to do the ammonia/nitrite/nitrtae process.The bacteria live on surfaces under the water (the biggest % is in the filter media).
If you put a filter from an established tank that has got enough BB in it then it is an instantly cycled tank (In theory).
Of course the tank you take it from will then be unstable (as you have removed it's main BB source) though some BB will exist on it's underwater surfaces (it may will cause a ammonia/nitrite spike though).

I cheat though.If I am thinking of getting another tank or I'm up-grading a filter,I put the new filter media in an established tank for a month or two so it gains some BB before I need to use it.Then I add a minimal ammount of fish to the new tank and allow the bio-load to increase over time with new fish.

Tomsk
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #4 
Super Sly

well hers the plan. I have 2 ten gallons already cycled and the filter in one of them is strong enough to push the 55 I am setting up.so I was going to put that filter in the new tank and put the other tens filter in my community tank to keep my cories in til the ff has been running a few weeks with my betta boys in it.( its devided of course) just long enough for the cycle to be stable because I think it will go through some mini cycles.