Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #1 
lcaley

Ich, medication, and water changes?

Here's my situation, my betta (after nearly recovering from mild fin rot from when I got him) had a relapse. I put him in a 1tsp/gallon salt bath. On day 8 or 9 of the salt, his fins were beginning to grow back, but somehow, he'd managed to get ich while in the salt bath. I didn't even know that was possible. Anyway, since obviously salt won't work to kill it, I pulled out a box of Jungle Lifeguard I had from some other need in my 10g a year ago. It says it treats fin rot and ich. On day 10 of salt, I put him in clean water for 24 hours so as not to switch directly from salt to medication. The next day, I cut the tablet into 5 parts (the correct dosage for his 1g qt he was already in) and put it in after a 100% water change. So far, I think I'm ok.

Here's my issue. The box for the medication specifically says to do a 25% water change on day 6 (after a 5 day treatment). However, my betta is healing from fin damage in a 1g bowl, so 5 days of no water change would be pretty bad. How should I go about this? I assume doing my daily 100% water changes would dilute the medication 2-5x depending which day of treatment it is.
lcaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #2 
ArcticRain

Actually, AQ salt can (and will) treat Ick. I know because my fish just got out of QT. There is a really good sticky at the top of this section. Its called something like "Betta deasises and Treatments Part 1". If you go look you will see the part about Ick.

How are you heating his QT tank? Even though he is in QT he still needs to have heated water.

Could you possibly post a picture? What you think is Ick may not be.

I don't know about the Water change question. Hopefully a more experienced member will come help.
ArcticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #3 
lcaley

I know AQ salt can treat ich, but somehow he managed to get it while he was already in salt. I assume whatever this is (if its not ich) doesn't mind the salt, hence the medication. When I went to take a pic, I noticed the spots are gone. He had a few small ones on his body, and one larger one above his gill. After ~12 hours with the medication, the smaller ones were gone. Now the bigger one is gone as well. Although, I assume I should finish the treatment to ensure it's all dead so medicine immunities don't develop.

The bowl is heated with a small (10w?) heater, and is kept pretty stable at 78F.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:21 PM   #4 
ArcticRain

I think you should go ahead and finish the whole treatment. I also think that you should go ahead and do 100% water changes everyday.

Is he showing the other symptoms of Ick? Pale, lethargic, darting/rubbing against decor? If so, then I think your on the right track for treatment.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:22 PM   #5 
lcaley

He is a bit lethargic, but not bad. His color is fine, and I haven't noticed him rubbing on anything. I guess I'll go ahead with the 100% water change, and just put another 1/5 tablet in. It seems to be enough to have a negative effect on whatever is bothering my betta. Thanks for your help!
Old 12-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #6 
ArcticRain

Your welcome! I hope he gets well soon!
Old 12-15-2011, 06:44 PM   #7 
Myates

Make sure the expiration date isn't past, since it's old medication.
Daily 100% water changes while using the medication as the eggs may drop and you want to be rid of them.
Warm water will kill off Ich, so if you can raise the temp to a steady 85/86 that will speed things up.
Stop salt if you haven't already..

Good luck, keep us updated.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote