Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2011, 09:17 PM   #11 
mardi

Update...

Remedio blew some bubbles in his hospital tank today while I was at work. He's swimming around and seems to be a really, really happy fish.

I bought a new tank and heater this afternoon. It's an adjustable 25 watt heater. I haven't set it up yet, but I'm kind of nervous about using that much power in that small of a tank. I'm going to set it up tonight on a seperate little table with a thermometer; just to make sure I don't wake up to a melted down tank. Also, it's one of those Top Fin heaters, which I've heard some people have had issues with leeching stuff into water; so it'll be good to test the heater out, check the water and make sure everything is safe before putting some fresh water and him in there.

I want to give Remedio some life spectrum pellets in the morning, after Bowie has been fed. I'm kind of nervous, because I hand feed Bowie; since the pellets don't really float, it's just easier to keep them stable on my hands. Bowie has no problem with it, but I'm kind of concerned about transmitting something. I plan on feeding Bowie first, then washing my hands and feeding Remedio. Bowie is healthy, and hasn't had anything new placed in his tank for quite some time, so I'm not terribly worried about him transmitting anything to Remedio (I'm not terribly convinced Remedio isn't bullet proof at this point in time, lol).

Does anyone have any suggestions on keeping feeding time safe for the both of them?

I only have metal spoons
mardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:48 PM   #12 
mardi

Thank you so much, Sakura! He seems to be in a better state with each passing day. I was a little worried about the pictures, it beyond broke my heart when I saw him at the store, I just couldn't believe they would leave him out there, exposed when he was sick. I know he and I are in good hands here, everyone has been so wonderful.

Thank you again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
What a handsome rich red. I wouldn't worry about the pics, Mardi, I didn't see anything graphic at all. He looks like he's doing so much better and you're in good hands with Myates and Pitluvs. Good luck with Remedio. :)
Old 12-15-2011, 12:05 AM   #13 
Sakura8

:) I can understand why he'd be a happy guy. He's finally got someone who loves him and will take good care of him.

I wouldn't worry about the wattage of your heater in a small tank - I use 25w heaters in tanks as small as 1 gallon. I just make sure to monitor the water and make sure the temp is right and the heater is malfunctioning. I haven't used Top Fin heaters but I do know someone who has and who experienced a problem with her heater leeching some kind of rubbery smell into the water, making her fish sick. Keep an eye on it is all I can advise and yank it out if you smell any kind of chemical smell.

I think washing your hands in between feeding Bowie and Remedio should be enough to prevent any contamination but if you feel like that may not be enough, you can always do something like try to balance the pellets on a plastic spoon just under the surface of the water.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:45 AM   #14 
mardi

Thanks for the advice, Sakura!

I'm going to wrap his little tank in a towel for the evening and keep the air in my apartment up this evening. Luckily, it's still not terribly cold here in Florida.

I've set the tank up with heater and cold water in it. I set the heater to 80 and will see what the temp is in the morning, to make sure it works properly and then I'm going to dump the water I have in, out and check it for any funky smells. I figure if it's going to leech, it'll leech after a night of working. I personally have a 50 Watt Top Fin heater in the 5.5gallon with Bowie, and haven't had any problems with it, but it never hurts to be careful. I wouldn't have chosen Top Fin right off the bat, but it was the lowest watt, adjustable heater I could find in my area. (I visited two stores and called three more to check). Hopefully this will be Remedio's last night in the ICU tank.

The 1 Gallon has an awkward top with the heater and no filter, but it's a nice size, just in case I still need to treat him with something, while still giving him more room to swim around.

I didn't mention it, but I've moved him out of the laundry room yesterday morning, He's now in my living room, on a table right beside me; I figured he was ready for a little stimulation. Also, he still hasn't passed anything, hopefully feeding him will help with that. And now I'm rambling, so I should end this here. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
:) I can understand why he'd be a happy guy. He's finally got someone who loves him and will take good care of him.

I wouldn't worry about the wattage of your heater in a small tank - I use 25w heaters in tanks as small as 1 gallon. I just make sure to monitor the water and make sure the temp is right and the heater is malfunctioning. I haven't used Top Fin heaters but I do know someone who has and who experienced a problem with her heater leeching some kind of rubbery smell into the water, making her fish sick. Keep an eye on it is all I can advise and yank it out if you smell any kind of chemical smell.

I think washing your hands in between feeding Bowie and Remedio should be enough to prevent any contamination but if you feel like that may not be enough, you can always do something like try to balance the pellets on a plastic spoon just under the surface of the water.

Last edited by mardi; 12-15-2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:18 PM   #15 
mardi

Post Journal about his progress

I've started a journal about Remedio's progress.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=88135.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:23 PM   #16 
kfryman

Nice to see progress!
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote