Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #1 
lulupie

Do you really need a heater?

When i went to petsmart they told me your betta does not need a heater. and petco told the same thing. but im reading here and online you do so im not sure what should i do??? help
lulupie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:07 PM   #2 
copperarabian

Yes they need a heater, most pet store employees don't know any better. They're a tropical fish and thrive in water that's right around 78 degrees. They can survive without a heater, but it will lower their immune system a lot and they'll act more lethargic.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:08 PM   #3 
mjoy79

Bettas are tropical fish and thrive in temperatures between 76-84 (Best is 78-80 under normal circumstances). So if the temperature in your home is less than that, a heater is usually needed to maintain the proper temperature environment for a betta. If the temp in your home is 70 (comfy for us) then the temp in the tank will be 68 since water temp usually is a couple of degrees less than the air temp around it. Pet store employees (especially at chain stores like Petco and Petsmart) typically give wrong information out, especially with fish care.

On a side note, I'm surprised to keep hearing that they say bettas dont need heaters since they're actually losing money that way!
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

Pet stores are not educated on the needs of Betta fish, or really any other animal. They are told what to tell you, plain and simple, to generate sales. Bettas thrive in water 78-80F, the usual temp in a Betta tank without a heater is 72-75F (or lower). But yes, you need a heater. Even if your home is a comfortable 78F, your fish tanks will always be a few degrees lower. A happy Betta is one that thrives and doesn't get sick as often :)

Don't worry, my pet store told me Bettas like cold water, small tanks (0.3-0.5g) and are great tank mates to Goldfish. All of which are very untrue :)

Welcome to the forum!!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:11 PM   #5 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoy79 View Post
On a side note, I'm surprised to keep hearing that they say bettas dont need heaters since they're actually losing money that way!
The way I see it (and what I was told), buying a $13 heater will guarantee a healthy fish that doesn't come back. Not getting a heater promotes problems, which can lead to medication, buying new fish, etc. There's where the money lies lol
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:15 PM   #6 
Dragonlady

If the temperature of the room is a constant 82 degrees, the water temperature is around 78.5.... if that helps at all. Many people prefer the air temperature around 72-75, which makes the water temperature in a tank too cold without a heater.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:16 PM   #7 
Rosso1011

You definitely need a heater for a betta, depending on what size your aquarium is, you will need a heater that has a wattage specific to heating that particular size aquarium.

Pitluvs, love the Christmas betta pic!
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #8 
doggyhog

It IS possible to not have a heater but it really isn't worth the bother IMO. You'll have to spend money on heating your house to like 85 F all day or buy a 15 dollar heater. LOL

But welcome to the forum!! Glad to have you here. :)
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:01 PM   #9 
lulupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
Pet stores are not educated on the needs of Betta fish, or really any other animal. They are told what to tell you, plain and simple, to generate sales. Bettas thrive in water 78-80F, the usual temp in a Betta tank without a heater is 72-75F (or lower). But yes, you need a heater. Even if your home is a comfortable 78F, your fish tanks will always be a few degrees lower. A happy Betta is one that thrives and doesn't get sick as often :)

Don't worry, my pet store told me Bettas like cold water, small tanks (0.3-0.5g) and are great tank mates to Goldfish. All of which are very untrue :)

Welcome to the forum!!
yeah everytime i just go to the store to get some stuff they say i dont need it. but i got the 25w submersible aquarium heater for my 2.5g is that fine?
Old 12-13-2011, 10:01 PM   #10 
lulupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggyhog View Post
It IS possible to not have a heater but it really isn't worth the bother IMO. You'll have to spend money on heating your house to like 85 F all day or buy a 15 dollar heater. LOL

But welcome to the forum!! Glad to have you here. :)
haha your right , and thank youuu