Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2011, 01:35 AM   #1 
BeautifulBetta

Question Motherhood?

Hey all, just kinda had a random question. Has anyone ever left their female in with the babies and the dad? or just the female on her own with the babies? I've been trying to find information about it, but I can't seem to find anything on it.

Also, I had a spawn today, but the parents are finally done, but aren't fighting. There's more eggs than I've ever seen in a nest and they're both picking up eggs and putting them back in the nest. If he misses one, she gets it, and vice versa. Should I leave them be until the dad chases her away or should I take her out now? I've never had any spawns this gentle, its somewhat abnormal to me lmao. I'm about to go to bed so I'm not sure what will happen during the night. Any help would be appreciated :)
BeautifulBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:00 AM   #2 
purplemuffin

I've heard stories of people leaving the female in with the dad because they didn't realize the pair had finished spawning. Generally after breeding the dad turns into a huge jerk and bullies anyone trying to get near his nest of eggs, including the mother!

But I don't breed, I've only read things here. :) I'm sure people with experience can answer your question better.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:32 AM   #3 
BeautifulBetta

Haha this boy is a weirdo, I think! Or he's realizing that the female is being extremely helpful lol. This is baffling me lmao. They havent embraced in hours, but because they were being so nice, I didn't know if they were done or not...Sheesh...These fish! :P
Old 12-14-2011, 08:14 AM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

IME, some males are just bad fathers. They don't pickup the eggs nor do they tend to them. In such cases the female usually takes care of them (if she's a good mom) during the first day but will eventually eat the eggs.

I have a pair like that. Fortunately the male is very .... tame(?)... he doesn't freak out if I put my hand in his tank and do whatever. So I could spoon the eggs out while they're still spawning and artificially hatch the eggs.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:41 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I have conducted several different experiments over the years-one being a multi spawn using a NPT full to the top with water 10gal tank (I also use this method during the summer outside in 5gal buckets)...leaving the male and female long term in the spawning tank....

I would get a new spawn about every 3-4 days-neither the male or female seen eating eggs or fry or either the male or female injured, however, the older/larger fry did eat the younger/smaller fry.......this was also an issue in my outside spawns....so I remove the older/larger fry on a regular basis....

Depending on the breeders and the tank setup......it can be successful-but if the spawn is really important you may want to remove the female and later the male...or artificial hatch the eggs.....

Most important...safety of the breeders......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:00 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

I have never seen that o_o cool, though haha!! I've had one male though, who stayed with the fry after they were free swimming. he just tried to keep tending to them, and he was getting frustrated "I did not tell you to leave the nest! get back here! hey! no - get back here!"

If it works, it works. watch for any disappearing eggs though... just in case :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #7 
BeautifulBetta

Thanks for the help guys! My decision was made this morning when the male was chasing her away so I removed her lol. That was an easy choice. Interesting the difference between some males, some are extremely calm and others are just downright nasty. Fortunately for the mum, she got a couple nips from this morning but other than that, she's her normal self, begging for attention :) Quite a few of the eggs are gone, but there are sooo many left. I might get photos later if Sheldon doesn't get mad at me lol.
Here's the photo of some of the eggs from last night after they stopped spawning...:

Old 12-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #8 
tpocicat

That's a huge amount of eggs! Best of luck bringing up your fry. Please post pics as they develop.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #9 
BeautifulBetta

thanks so much! Definitely will do :)
Old 12-14-2011, 03:24 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

Very nice!! I'm in the middle of spawning myself :) and my male is downright nasty! I'd have no choice - she'd have to be pulled out right after
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote