Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2011, 03:43 PM   #11 
SmokeNLark

I agree, it was probably the shells. That's the only thing wrong that I can see. Change the water in the 10 gallon to get the pH the same as the 1.5. It's probably the pH combined with the stress of moving him. There are actually some bettas that perfer the smaller space. I have one that gets stressed in anything over 2.5 gallons.

I have done fish-in cycles for my betta tanks. It works well as long as you keep up on water changes while it's cycling. It doesn't matter how many fish there are, ammonia is still being produced and the tank will cycle.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #12 
goldentryst

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeNLark View Post
I agree, it was probably the shells. That's the only thing wrong that I can see. Change the water in the 10 gallon to get the pH the same as the 1.5. It's probably the pH combined with the stress of moving him. There are actually some bettas that perfer the smaller space. I have one that gets stressed in anything over 2.5 gallons.

I have done fish-in cycles for my betta tanks. It works well as long as you keep up on water changes while it's cycling. It doesn't matter how many fish there are, ammonia is still being produced and the tank will cycle.
Ahh, that comment on being able to do fish-in cycling with bettas really gives me hope. I've been so iffy about it lately and contemplating the other cycling options with dread because if I do go with the fish-in cycling I don't want my betta to suffer from gill-burns and all that nasty stuff. If you don't mind me asking, within a 10 gall tank that houses 1 betta fish, during cycling [or always] how often should I be changing the water? 50% per once a week?

@1fish2fish I looked up the "Quick Dip" strips my PetSmart uses for water testing, and found that they are $20 for a 100 paper strips. :( Though I don't doubt that that would indeed last me a while, I don't think my parents are too keen on me blowing more of my money on aquarium-related essentials. Already spent over $100 in 1 week (though don't get me wrong I do think it's a wonderful investment that should see me through for the next several years or so). I think for now I'm going to make short trips to the PetSmart for free tests, until later when I can buy the legit testing tools for my own. XD

@bahamut285 2-3 hours is worth it! And thank you for the suggestion; I was thinking about getting one of those fish bags from the pet shop and using it to acclimate my betta fish. His little betta cup just wasn't adequate enough I believe.

By the way, the purpose of acclimation is not only to adjust your betta fish to the new tank's temperature, but also pH level, yes? I read that often times before on the internet and yet when I spoke with a knowledgeable petsmart consultant today she said no on the pH part.

Thank you guys for your inputs, I highly appreciate it.

*** the seashells

When I spoke with the petsmart consultant this morning I told her about the seashells and asked if they could possibly be the reason the pH shot up in the 10gall tank. She checked where I got them from and said no, they shouldn't be the reason, because these seashells were made for aquariums. But she did suggest I wash them around a bit in hot (not boiling water) water before sticking them back in the aquarium. So I'm still a bit confused on why the pH of my 10gall is 8.4 when my 1.5gall is 6.6, but I'll continue doing some water changes. Also, not putting back the seashells in yet. Just to be safe.

Will be getting a water test few days from now. Hopefully tomorrow, if the bf is willing to stop by Petsmart with me. If the seashells (or maybe even the marimo ball I QT-ed?) were indeed the culprit, my water pH should have lowered after last night's 40-50% water change.

Last edited by goldentryst; 12-15-2011 at 07:13 PM.
goldentryst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:30 AM   #13 
1fish2fish

Marimo ball isn't going to change your pH or water chemistry. Even it's affect on sucking up Ammonia and Nitrates will be almost negligible because they grow so slow.

If you get testing supplies go with the liquid test, not the strips. The strips are notorious for giving bad readings. The liquid test is around $30 but will last you well over a year if you only have one tank and one fish. In fact even though I've had anywhere from 10-20 tanks set up mine has still lasted over a year.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:00 AM   #14 
goldentryst

Returned the marimo ball for full cash. The hype over them was what drew me in toward one, but it seems they're not as useful (nor fun) as I thought. Not to mention, my betta apparently despises the marimo ball. Every time I placed it with him he would stop moving and sit on the gravel until I took it out.

Got a water sample test again today. Three:

- 1.5gall (currently occupied by my betta fish)
- my aged tap water
- 10gall (unoccupied)

It seems all the pH readings are 8.4; I don't know why my betta's water was 6.6 on pH a week ago. I changed his water last night so maybe that is it.

The seashells are specifically made for aquariums so they weren't what raised the pH.
goldentryst is offline   Reply With Quote