peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #12 
Edifiler

i know ._. seriously this was not what i had in mind ;X
Edifiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #13 
SnowySurface

Silly question time. ^_^

Would it be more realistic for an algae eater in a tank to be closer to this size? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RvYw...eature=related

It still seems like it would need 10 gallons or so since it is probably still young in this video. But I don't think you have to have a pond to have a Chinese algae eater. : /
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:23 PM   #14 
1fish2fish

I think that's an oto and not a CAE in that video. Otos are itty bitty and compared to the neon tetra next to it in the video it looks to be really small.

Edit yeah... this appears to be the same tank and he's calling them Otos. Otos max out at like 2in I believe? Much better option but I've heard they can be hard to care for.
http://youtu.be/VrUOQSMgj2s

Edit again.. sorry.

I could be wrong. The fish in that video could be Siamese Algae Eaters which are still different from Chinese Algae Eaters.
http://www.aquariumalgaeeaters.blogspot.com/

http://www.fishlore.com/aquariummaga...e-eater-id.htm

Last edited by 1fish2fish; 12-15-2011 at 06:32 PM.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:28 AM   #15 
guardianfyre

I usually don't recommend any type of algae eating fish for any tank under 10 gallons, and 10 is pushing it.

Trinidad or common Plecostomus: Can get to 2 feet if the water is clean and they get enough to eat. Often die of starvation (You can tell they're starving when they start trying to eat other fish's slime coats.) Recommended tank size: 125 gallons+ or pond

Chinese Algae Eater: Not a true algae eater. More closely related to the flying fox. Parasitic/predatory fish. Reaches 6 to 8 inches in length. They eat algae as juveniles, but as adults they turn predatious and attack other fish for their nutritious slime coats (Not a sign of starvation in these fish, it's natural for them to do this.) Not recommended for community tanks.

Siamese Algae Eater: True algae eater. Can be anywhere from 3 to 6 inches in length as an adult. High metabolism, needs lots of food, so supplemental wafers are a must with this fish. Recommended tank size: 40 gallons+

Otocinclus: True algae eater. Maximum size for a large female is 2 inches. Most will only reach 1 1/2 inches. Extremely high metabolism! Survives best when kept in a school of 5 or more, solitary fish tend to live for only a short time. Driftwood in the tank will help them survive better as they need the wood fibers in their diet. Most of these sold in pet shops are wild caught because they are extremely difficult to breed in captivity. Recommended tank size for a single fish: 10 gallons. Add 5-10 gallons for each additional fish. Supplements will be required.

Bristlenose/bushynose Plecostomus: Max size is 6 inches with most being around 4. Relatively easy to care for once they have adapted to your tank (takes about 2 weeks). Hard to find in some areas. Recommended tank size: 20 gallons+ though they can live in a 10 gallon if they're supplemented and have driftwood to chew on.

Clown Plecostomus: Adult size for the females is 3 inches with males being around 2 to 2 1/2. Also easy to care for once they've adapted, but even more difficult to find than bristlenoses. Recommended tank size: 10 gallons +. They can be kept in a tank as small as 5 gallons, but, again, supplements are a must along with driftwood.

For smaller tanks, I will usually recommend a snail or a shrimp as the algae cleaner. Much less impact on your bioload and they can eat fallen food as well as algae.

If anyone has other info or corrections, please feel free to add in. If I took this off topic, I apologize, just wanted to get the info out there.
guardianfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #16 
Arashi Takamine

Sorry to hear about the moron at your LPS.

When I was last at the local buffet we were looking in the tank just in time to see their CAE finish off a piece of what could have only been one of their weird looking goldfish. And one of them was stick and the other fish was trying to shove him out. I told the manager that he was stuck and he just counted his money and glared at me like I was stupid.

People really just shouldn't sell or display fish if their not gonna take care of em. You won't make money off of dead/dying fish and only get the fish lovers ticked.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:53 AM   #17 
Edifiler

Im plan not to get any supplies from the LPS anymore and try and get what i need from the aquarium further away. But i guess its worth it since the fishes and products there are better and cheaper :D
Edifiler is offline   Reply With Quote