Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #1 
mountaintrout

my bettas love water flow?

i was worried a while back reading that bettas should not be in a water flowing tank. i have a 30 gallon tank with 25 ghost shrimp and 12 females in the tank and they seem to love the flow and the air stones. they have no stress lines and plenty of plant and rock covers and such. i turned down the filter flow and the air stones after reading it. they seemed so sluggish and lost color so i turned it all back on and they are loving it again. im confused..can anyone tell me the yes or no with the flow in the tank with a lot of air?
mountaintrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:50 PM   #2 
ArcticRain

I think that if thier not bothered by it and they loose color when it's not there, I would just turn it back on and see what happens. I had a Betta once that loved play in the water flow. As long as thier not being pushed down or sucked up I think your safe.

Also, it would be a good test to see if that is really what making them lethargic. They could have something else wrong and your just mistaking it for the loss of water flow.
ArcticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:16 PM   #3 
mountaintrout

yes. that was the test option. they all look fine. fed right. and happy
Old 12-15-2011, 02:24 PM   #4 
ArcticRain

Well, that's good. If they like all the bubbles then I say go for it!
Old 12-15-2011, 02:37 PM   #5 
mountaintrout

thank you for replying maam
Old 12-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #6 
ArcticRain

Your welcome! :)
Old 12-15-2011, 03:07 PM   #7 
DaveC

Liberace has discovered the outflow from the filter and loves to swin up-current then ride it back down. He also likes to hangout near the intake pipe, actually resting against it. This freaks me out because i am always looking over and thinking he has got himself stuck. I keep the filter flow turne all the way down for safety. He just seems to like to play in the current.

I think some bettas must just like playing in a current. I have read about other people's doing the same thing.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:59 PM   #8 
NoahG

I agree with DaveC. When refilling during a partial water change I was letting the water flow over the top of the skull decoration I have in Haifisch's tank and she seemed to enjoy hanging out less than an inch from the skull the entire time. Even when there were good-sized bubbles coming up from the hole in the back from the air escaping the skull she stuck right around it, even where the bubbles were coming up.

All bettas are different, and it seems your girls like some water flow and bubbles -- no reason to take it away from them so long as it's not hindering their swimming or causing any stress.
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #9 
xbecky685x

I have a baby biorb and my little boy doesnt mind the flow at all! (Which is good cause i cant seem to lower it at all!)
I thnk all bettas are different and some like it some dont :)
xx
xbecky685x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

lol I had a weak swimmer betta - he hated even the slightest flow. But even my old man Spartan loves the flow (maybe because it keeps his lazy old butt moving? ). If they love it, ignore the "bettas shouldn't couldn't" things. bettas shouldn't be with other fish, but that's not always true lol. Each betta is different
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote