Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #11 
Lucinda1

I havent seen her rubbing but she is beign stationary and hiding inside her castle resting on the bottom of the tank.
Lucinda1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #12 
Tikibirds

Petco has a habit of giving out wrong information. Since they are tropical fish they need heaters, unless you happen to live some place very hot or tropical. However, heating a tank less then 3 or so gallons is a bit challenging because the smaller ones for bowls are not adjustable and from what I have heard, they are always on whereas 25 watt ones are usually adjustable and will turn off when the water reaches a certain tempature. Plus something that small should have a water change about every other day so ammonia doesn't built up.

Is that red thing I see in the pic what you are talking about? The thing that is by the long dangly fins near her head (sorry, dont know what they are called)?? if so, I am stumped. Is it actually comming out of her butt or is it more of a growth, like a tumor? I'm thinking internal parasites which I do not think pimafix will help with. I "think" that is for bacterial infections..?

Quote:
Internal Parasites
•Symptoms: Betta is losing weight but eating normally and acting lethargic.
He/she might dart or rub against decor.
•Treatment: These can be hard to fight and can get confused with the fatal disease Tuberculosis. Perform daily 100% water changes (if possible, for larger aquariums change 3/4). Make sure you carefully clean the gravel to remove eggs/larva. Aq.Salt does not seem to be affective against internal parasites. I find combining ES with an anti-parasite med is best. Treat with 1-2tsp/gal Epsom Salt combined with either Jungle’s Anti-Parasite Pellets, Jungle’s Parasite Clear Fizz tabs or API General Cure. PP is also effective against internal parasites.
Quote:
External Parasites
•Symptoms: You may see parasites (other than ick) or you may not. Pay special attention to the area around the gills and fins. May dart and rub against decor, lose interest in food, lethargy, color loss
•Treatment: Some parasites can be treated conservatively with Aquarium Salt. For salt treatments, treat as you would with Ick. If conservative treatment does not work or if you have extenuating circumstances then there are a number of medications you could use. API’s General Cure and Jungle’s Parasite Clear fizz tablets are both affective ways to kill parasites. Do not combine with Aq.Salt.
•Alternative Medicines: I like PP for all stubborn external infections. It has never failed me, but it should only be used as a last resort.
You can try Pming Sakura8, Myates, oldfishlady or earthworm88. They are all good with diagnosing stuff

Last edited by Tikibirds; 12-14-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #13 
Lucinda1

THe pimafix is for fungus.

"I find combining ES with an anti-parasite med is best. Treat with 1-2tsp/gal Epsom Salt combined with either Jungle’s Anti-Parasite Pellets, Jungle’s Parasite Clear Fizz tabs or API General Cure. PP is also effective against internal parasites." Can you please tell me what PP and ES are? Thanks! Do you think its possible for her to get better?
Old 12-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #14 
Tikibirds

ES is plain old Epsom salt. Regular kind, not scented with anything.

PP is potassium pomagranet. I'm not really sure, exactly, what that is.

If you google fish lymphocystis does it look like any of the pics for that?
That can form a pinkish/red growth that kinda looks like tonsils. I do not think its fatal, but I don't think there is a cure for it either.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 12-14-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #15 
Lucinda1

Thank you everyone for your help! I am going to try to bring her to this place called Fish Town - they only sell tropical fish. I completely forgot about them. Hopefully they can help. Thanks again for all of your comments...I will try everything and let you know how she does. I really, really appreciate it.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #16 
Tikibirds

OK..just be careful on their advice. Not all pet stores have employees that know anything about fish petco for example.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #17 
Lucinda1

Thanks...I will be careful. They only sell fish, so Im hoping they can help. I spoke to someone on the phone who said he would be able to help me if I brought her in. I'm hoping to start her on the correct treatment asasp :( My poor little Lucinda.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:34 AM   #18 
Lucinda1

Hi guys! Thank you again for all of your help. Appparently my little Lucinda has a bacterial infection. I brought her to the tropical fish store and they gave me antibiotics for her Tetracyclin. I am also supposed to continue to add the anti-fungal medication. I will keep you updated on her condition. She was not in hiding this morning so thats already an improvement. She wont eat though which is worrying me a little. Thanks again!
Old 12-16-2011, 12:57 AM   #19 
Tikibirds

I hope she gets better. I had to order tetracycline off ebay because petco doesn't carry it, or any real meds for that matter.

They can go two or so weeks without food, so I wouldnt worry just yet.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 12-16-2011 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #20 
BETTACHKALOVE

I hope it bacterial infection not parasites.

She looks a little bloated to me,may be i am wrong. I think check her poop again. It don't have to be white. Usually white, stringy or white and black poop - internal parasites and with internal parasites she also would be bloated too.

But white fuzzy stuff it can be bacterial or fungal, or both so TETRACYCLINE API mix with Fungus Eliminator by Jungle will help. Also Fungus Eliminator you can order on line or call 888-373-8686

I would really try Aquarium salt before medication because it would take care of the bacterial and fungus and internal parasites if she has that together.

If you decided to do medications then still watch her poop to be sure she don't have parasites.

Usually aquarium salt for external parasites and Epsom salt for internal parasites. I know it difficult sometimes to get rid of parasites. There is also anti –parasites food,so just make sure she don’t have it. The food for internal parasites is Jungle’s Anti-parasite pellets.

Also for the tank that she is in .05 you need to 100% water changes about every 3 days. Once a week absolutely not enough. I think that is the main reason her got sick. Also when you feed with flakes it really massy . I think half of that go to the bottom of the tank when you feeding and contaminate the water.
Try to feed her pellets if you can. I like AQUEON Betta Food; TOP FIN Betta Bits,also another one I think it called New life spectrum betta pellets in in the round blue container.
Always make sure food don’t sink to the bottom or remove uneaten food.

You also can feed your betta with cooked shrimp. Just give him pieces the size of the pellet , she will appreciate.

Good luck give us update.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote