Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2011, 10:08 PM   #1 
Laki

what's too hot for a betta?

I took Lakitu out of the kitchen window today because it was having a hard time even staying at a constant 72F. Now he's back on my desk and with the heater on in his tank (betta therm) the strip says 78F which I know is ideal.. But now, I'm concerned what might be a temperature too warm and uncomfortable for bettas? Bc my desk is situated at the heater in the living room so when our heater is on, it will heat up the room which will heat up his tank. Follow?
What should I be looking for?
PS= Since I got home from my exam a couple hours ago and put on my desk lamp, Lakitu has been flaring and staring at me He won't leave the corner.. I think he thinks we're mates!! He's always been social, in the kitchen he only got this kind of love when we were in with him, I spend a lot of time vegetating at the computer so this is a perfect place for him :D
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:11 PM   #2 
kfryman

Anything above 82 is probably too warm. 78-82 are probably what to aim for. I would also get a thermometer instead of the strip, the strips tend to be inaccurate
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:14 PM   #3 
Laki

I know, I intend on getting one.. After in January bc I'm stock broke. My pets have what they need now but nothing else until I get my new loan.. I just switched departments in my workplace and now get 8 hours a week... 8.
But thanks!! I'm taking into account that the strip is monitering temperature from my room as well as the water, so I put my fingers in and the water is nice and warm. I'll unplug the heater if it keeps rising just to be sure. Lakitu was always active in cold water so he'll be okay while it drops a bit.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:24 PM   #4 
kfryman

Good that you are taking precautions :)
Old 12-14-2011, 10:40 PM   #5 
Laki

^.^ Well, I know the bettatherm is not really the most reliable choice for heaters (mine's fine but I know to keep an eye on it) and of course, after buying the therm strip I read they don't measure accurately either -_- Oh well- changes are a'coming!
If I can find a nice place for another tank I want another betta ^.^ So I'll at least have to buy more things to heat and such.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #6 
kfryman

I know I am trying to find a place for my 2.5 so I can keep that and get a 10 or 15 gallon. I think our electric bill is probably pricey. lol oh well.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #7 
Laki

Jeez!! I honestly never thought of that!! lol.. This apartment and the last had utils included in rent!! oops!! I only have an air stone and heater though for the fish... But that's something to consider if I get another!! lol
They're totally worth it though!
Old 12-14-2011, 10:58 PM   #8 
kfryman

Well luckily I am 15 and do not pay bills! As of right now there are 3 tanks all with filters, lights, and heaters; plus a two lights for a snake, two lights red on for 24/7 then the day light one on for the day. Lots of electricity just for pets. At least fish are usually cheaper to keep then cats and dogs. too bad we have 3 dogs currently and 3 cats. MY HOUSE IS A ZOO!
Old 12-15-2011, 12:34 AM   #9 
Laki

Wow, I had no idea you were 15!! :P Awesome! you're very knowledgeable ^.^
I love dogs and kitties :) What kinds of dogs do you have? Mine recently passed at 14 yrs old :(