Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2011, 06:04 PM   #1 
EmmaliLucia

Oy vey, it's me again.

So after carefully researching and planning it out for weeks I got two snails for Babydoll's 2.5g tank and four glofish for Jack's 10g tank.

Well, Jack pecked the "green" glofish to death and Babydoll destroyed both the snails.

So my set-up at the moment is:
Jack is in Babydoll's 2.5
Babydoll is in a large punch bowl where I tried to quarantine the glofish until I realized that he was a goner
and the three remaining glofish are in the ten gallon

What do you guys suggest I do? Jack didn't touch any of the other glofish, do you think that he might have just had a problem with the green ones colouring? I know Babydoll is a killing machine and she just needs to be left alone in her 2.5, when she gets it back.

Should I get a new tank for either the glofish or Jack? Or should I just put him back in his tank, pray for the best, possibly add more plants and hiding places, and see how it goes?
EmmaliLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Has Jack shown any threatening behavior toward the remaining glofish? If not, then you could add more hiding spots and watch to see what he does. Otherwise, if you have the space, I would probably suggest getting another tank for the glofish and getting a few more so they have a school of about 5-6. It's possible Jack felt the green coloring was too close to his own color. Hard to say for sure, though.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:12 PM   #3 
Myates

Silly fish.. he wanted the tank to himself!

Sakura gave good advice, one thing I want to add is that snails leave a large bio load, quite a bit for one snail to be in a 2.5- add 2 in and that can become dangerous quickly, not to mention they will breed faster then a rabbit with 2 in the same tank.'

Just food for thought in case you decided to try again- I'd suggest just one snail in the 2.5 and upping the water change a little bit per week if you do.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #4 
ManInBlack2010

i'd either try to add more hiding places like sakura said or see if you can possibly take them back to store you got them from
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #5 
Sakura8

Or if you can, get a nerite snail. They stay smaller than mystery snails and also can't breed in freshwater. Because Myates is right, mystery snails and pond snails and those critters breed at an insane rate.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:30 PM   #6 
EmmaliLucia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
snails leave a large bio load, quite a bit for one snail to be in a 2.5- add 2 in and that can become dangerous quickly, not to mention they will breed faster then a rabbit with 2 in the same tank.'
Yeah, a guy at PetSmart told me that mystery snails are ideal if looking for a little clean up, I believed him because he started bragging about his huge tropical fish tank, after the snails were gone I had to clean a lot more gunk out than I usually have to (Let's also add in the fact that I'm horrified of snails and slugs, so cleaning that tank was the worst torture ever)

He didn't attack or even pick on any of the others, not even the red one which is the closest to his colouring. He is a weird fish...
EmmaliLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:47 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Maybe there was something wrong with the green one and he was reacting to that? Nerites are great for people who don't like snails (like me). Unlike mystery snails, they don't have heads and antennae that stick out. All you ever really see are the shells.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:49 PM   #8 
youlovegnats

Aren't glofish just painted Danios?
I pretty sure that Danios aren't compatible with bettas.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #9 
Sakura8

Glofish are genetically engineered danios, yeah. Hyper little buggers. I'm actually surprised Jack could catch one, because danios never stop moving. Moving fast.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #10 
youlovegnats

Yeaaahh, I'd take them back or get them their own tank.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aggresive fish, betta behavior, glofish