Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #1 
turtlephobic

White spot on the gill cover?

I just noticed a white thing hanging off of my new crowntail's gill cover. D:

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/...214_200825.jpg
(big picture warning)

He might have had it when I bought him, but I'm not really sure. He's hard to look at because he doesn't like to get close to me. I don't think he would have got this in the two hours I've had him. >>

What size is your tank? Was in the 10 gallon ? (Divided to 5 gallon), but was moved to the 2.5 gallon.
What temperature is your tank? ~76 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? He hasn't eaten anything from me yet.
How often do you feed your betta fish? See above.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week. (Water was changed today before he went into the new tank.)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
n/a
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? White thing hanging off of gill cover. He also seems to not be able to flare that gill as far as his other, but I'm not sure.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? n/a
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Just now.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? n/a
How old is your fish (approximately)? n/a
turtlephobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:32 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Hi turtlephobic. Is this a new betta? I ask 'cause you said he hasn't eaten for you yet. He's a handsome guy. The white spot on his gill cover - is it raised up and does it look like cauliflower? Or does it look cottony? From the pic, my first thought is lymphocystis. This disease is characterized by big growths that look like cauliflower. You might google it and see if any of the pics match up. If this looks like the culprit to you, then there's nothing you can do but keep the water as clean as possible. Lymphocystis is a virus so there is no treatment or medicine that can be given. It is almost always non-fatal and goes away on its own in a few months. The only danger spot is if one of the growths bursts. If that happens, change the water and post back and we'll do what we can to prevent infection.

Lymphocystis is contagious so you may want to clean out the divided tanks your guy was in before you moved him. Feeding a high protein diet can also help speed up recovery.

Let me know if this info helps you. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:46 PM   #3 
turtlephobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Hi turtlephobic. Is this a new betta? I ask 'cause you said he hasn't eaten for you yet. He's a handsome guy. The white spot on his gill cover - is it raised up and does it look like cauliflower? Or does it look cottony? From the pic, my first thought is lymphocystis. This disease is characterized by big growths that look like cauliflower. You might google it and see if any of the pics match up. If this looks like the culprit to you, then there's nothing you can do but keep the water as clean as possible. Lymphocystis is a virus so there is no treatment or medicine that can be given. It is almost always non-fatal and goes away on its own in a few months. The only danger spot is if one of the growths bursts. If that happens, change the water and post back and we'll do what we can to prevent infection.

Lymphocystis is contagious so you may want to clean out the divided tanks your guy was in before you moved him. Feeding a high protein diet can also help speed up recovery.

Let me know if this info helps you. :)
Well, good news! I just got back from work, and see that the white spot is gone! :D He seems to be acting just fine and dandy, too. c:

Bad news. :c Looks like he has fin rot. Black tips and white, cotton looking stuff hanging off the edge of his fins is fin rot, right? I've had him for two days and he's already trouble. >:C
Old 12-16-2011, 10:45 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Hurray that the white spot disappeared! Now for the fin rot. :/ Sounds like it's progressing rather fast so I would jump straight to Maracyn II. Clean water and API Stress Coat at the medical dose also will help. Silly boy, causing trouble. We'll get him all fixed up though. :)

Let me know if you need any help with dosing info or anything like that.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #5 
turtlephobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Hurray that the white spot disappeared! Now for the fin rot. :/ Sounds like it's progressing rather fast so I would jump straight to Maracyn II. Clean water and API Stress Coat at the medical dose also will help. Silly boy, causing trouble. We'll get him all fixed up though. :)

Let me know if you need any help with dosing info or anything like that.
Thank you for your help. (: Sadly, I woke up this morning and he had passed on.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:45 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that, turtle. :( You did all you could for the little guy.