Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2011, 10:06 PM   #1 
Dmarie

very sick fish *Caution photo may be graphic

I apologize for continuing to post this incorrectly, I dont usually post pictures on forums & not sure exactly how to do it right. I think my little guy is dying & am worried & Im trying to find out anything I can do to try to save him
Dmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:23 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Hi Dmarie and welcome to the forum. It looks like your guy has a raw wound on his lip? First, can I get you to fill this out? The info would really help with a diagnosis. It also looks like your boy has a bit of popeye and some cloudy eye too but I'll know more when I get your info.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:51 AM   #3 
Dmarie

Urgent help needed Please!

Thank you for responding, Im so worried, here is the info you asked for.
I dont know what to do, he has been on betta fix for 6 days now for a sudden pop eye. It looks like his eye is now popped out & is on his face,(sorry I know its unpleasant) please help me know what to do thank you. I feel so bad for him & want to do something to help the little guy.

"Snappy" is 1.5 yrs old, alone in a 5 gallon tank, heated @ 78, filter & bio wheel, & light, water change 50% - 60% every week to 10 days complete cleaning of tank done every 3 months, I have 2 tanks & switch them out. All gravel is thrown away & replaced with new, everything in tank gets cleaned, use aqua safe water conditioner, hand feed him HBH "betta bites" hand feed to avoid falling food in tank. He doesnt eat anything but betta bites, he isnt interested in any other food, no matter how hard i try,(But I have never tried live food). I dont know the ph & have never tested, I hope I didnt cause this, Im so careful of his water & cleanliness. he has never been interested in bubble nests, but loves swimming around, has always been very active & likes his hiding places & tunnels. I hope I answered most of the need to know & so much appreciate your help. betta fix was suggested by fish store, he also told me that the tank is too hot & it should only be around 60 - 70 degrees????? I also have aquarium salt in tank for this past week

Last edited by Dmarie; 12-15-2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: wrong spelling
Old 12-15-2011, 01:25 PM   #4 
Dmarie

Eye is popped out & stuck to face, Unpleasant photo

Just purchased maracyn oxy, is this the same as maracyn? all info is under other post from yesterday titled "very sick little fish" by Dmarie, Im very worried.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #5 
Tikibirds

Maracyn Oxy is based off of chlorine. I dont know the actual chemistry behind it but if you look on the bottle for active ingredients it says something about a stable form of chlorine. I can be totally wrong on this but I recall reading someplace that maracyn is actually a drug called Erythromycin?? I think maracyn is kinda like a brand name? it may help with pop eye, all i recall was it saying it was for fungus and bacteria. However it seems to be useless aganist columnaris

Anyways, bettas are tropical fish and need temps between 78-82. 60 is too cold for a betta.

Despite the name, bettafix isnt really good for bettas. Its main ingredient comes from some kind of tree and can harm the organ bettas use to breathe air. That's why its not recommended. However alot of people have had good luck with it.

You say you are trying to treat pop eye?
Quote:
Popeye
•Symptoms: One or both eyes will swell and bulge out. It in itself can also be a symptom of Dropsy.
•Treatment: Usually not fatal if treated, but your betta might lose an eye. Conservative: If the swelling is extreme then use ES first. Perform 100% daily water changes. You may be able to treat the popeye with just Epsom and clean water. However, if the swelling goes down but the eyes remain cloudy/white, then switch to Aq.Salt at 1tsp/gal or use medications. Do not combine Aq.Salt with medications but you can continue to use ES during medical treatments. Medication: If ES or Aq.Salt do not do the trick or it is a serious case of popeye, then combine the ES with API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API General Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn.
Is pop eye the only thing you are treating? if so, i would stop the aquarium salt and switch to plain epsom salt, not the scented ones. I dont know if you need to give the fish a day or so of clean water before switching to epsom or not. In the meantime, I would try and hunt down one of these: API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API General Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn. I had a hell of a time finding ANY of them and ended up ordering a few off ebay.

Quote:
Use 1/2 capful (2.5 mL) per 10 gallons of water. Repeat as needed for not more than 5 days.
It is suggested to always increase tank aeration during treatment to ensure an adequate oxygen supply for sick fish.
Switch off UV sterilizers during treatment.
Should fish exhibit signs of distress neutralize the medication by using an aquarium dechlorinator. Follow the manufacturers directions for dosing.
I was kinda afraid to use the oxy since the directions are for 10 gallons and the fish was in like 1 gallon. i didnt want to OD her and the fact that it smells like chlorine kinda worried me as well.

You may want to seek out someone who has a better understanding of medicine, mine isnt that great.

Quote:
filter & bio wheel, & light, water change 50% - 60% every week to 10 days complete cleaning of tank done every 3 months, I have 2 tanks & switch them out. All gravel is thrown away & replaced with new, everything in tank gets cleaned
Is your tank cycled?

Last edited by Tikibirds; 12-15-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #6 
TheKingsFish

Erythromycin is an antibiotic used to cure bacterial infections. In humans it is typically administered to deal with mild pulmonary or digestive infections. Good to know what the active ingredient is tho!

@Tikibirds: I've had better luck with Seachem Kanaplex for Columnaris. With the strains that I've had in my bettas I've actually found that aquarium salt makes it worse. Epsom will slow it down, but it won't stave it off completely if you don't have the drug already.

@Dmarie: While I have yet to deal with a pop-eye issue as serious as this, I have had luck with the above treatment for minor pop-eye infections. I am not sure what to do about the loose eye, but I've heard in humans that they can sometimes pull themselves back in? This may be an urban myth. I don't know.

Part of the solution may be learning what you have been feeding the little fellow, how much, and how often so we can eliminate diet as a variable in the cause of the inflammation.

In the meantime, I recommend sending a PM to dramaqueen and OldFishLady. They are both very experienced and may have some ideas we haven't covered yet.
TheKingsFish is offline   Reply With Quote