Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2011, 08:42 PM   #1 
bettafish15

Question Not well after overeating.

So, my betta, Blue, is a tiny little fellow. I've had him for over a year now. He resides in a 5g hex with a whack of snails. Yesterday, I overfed a bit for the snails after turning the tank lights off. I figured he wouldnt see the extra food, but I was wrong.

I had tried a new food that day too, a tropical flake food, just to mix it up from his betta pellets/flakes since the first 3 ingredients were really good. Anyhow, a while later I noticed he had trouble swimming around, so I quickly moved him to a 1g kritter keeper with his tank water, about an inch or two of water since he had troble swimming to the surface.

His symptoms aren't of SBD. Since last night, he has had 5 normal poops, and is no longer bloated. It is going on the second night now, and he still has trouble getting to the surface. Does anyone know why? I would like to return him to his tank asap, but I'm scared if I do he will drown at the bottom of the tank. He is currently sitting on my dryer, the only safe place from my cats, with my pellet stove about 15 feet away to keep him at a reasonable temperature. What can I do to make this better? I have no medications, as some people dont have the luxury of living in a city. :P

Any ideas appreciated! Long post is loonnggg.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #2 
EvilVOG

what kind of snails are you feeding? Most of the common snails eat algae or vegetables, or even other snails.

Don't have an answer about your betta... only treatment i could think of is that of SBD and you sound pretty sure he doesn't have it. I'll leave it to someone else to tell you to use it or not.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #3 
bettafish15

I have Red ramhorn snails. They eat pretty much anything, at least mine do. :)
Old 12-14-2011, 07:49 PM   #4 
bettafish15

UPDATE: I have made a video of him! His bloat has gone down, he has eaten two pellets (I wouldnt feed him more.) The problem now is that its like his bottom half just doesnt work. He's active as he can while scooting around, as I type hes staring at me from across the room. I have his temp. 1 gal in front of his 5g for light now, and two teddy bears on either side of the 1g for security.

Since the video I have added a little bit of hornwort to give him something to rest on and hide behind.

I could REALLY use your guys' help here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1gov...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-15-2011, 08:49 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Do you have any Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt)....mix up a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and tannins if you have some-either IAL or Oak leaf and use this premixed treatment water for 50% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today while in the small QT container and cover the QT with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat and humidity for the labyrinth organ
Tomorrow start 50% daily water changes with the premixed treatment water for 3 days-then 100% on day 4-repeat that schedule for 10-14 days

Every day the premixed Tx water should look darker if you add the tannins and this is what you want

Keep the plant in with him and water temp in the 77-78F range

Feed really small amounts of a varied diet several times a day....

He should start to get better in 5-6 days-if not he may have blown his swim bladder-but I suspect the duct is blocked and the Epsom salt should help this.

Keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:00 AM   #6 
bettafish15

Thank you so much! I am not sure it is anything to do with his swim bladder though because of the normality of his front end, its just his back end he cant move well, and it flops to the side when he stops moving. I will try your treatment out though! I do have IAL.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

The swim bladder is what is responsible for buoyancy...they don't have to be bloated to have swim bladder problems...that is just one cause of buoyancy issue....

You also have labyrinth organ issues that can cause buoyancy problems as well as bacterial and injury....
Old 12-15-2011, 03:21 PM   #8 
bettafish15

Ahh, I see ^^ Now that I'm home from work, I'm going to start on your treatment. I'm a little nervous about using epsom salt, as last time I did, the betta died. :/ But I guess I have to try! It's so sad, hes happy to see me like usual, but he just cant get into a full-out swim. :(
Old 12-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Often a treatment product will be associated with the death due to the fish already being compromised and not the product itself...

Good luck and keep us posted....