Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2011, 09:45 PM   #11 
funkyou

The VT's fine. The CT is still a bit bloated and has only pooped one tiny bit, so I'll let him go another day and then do the epsom salts thing if he isn't any better the next day.

Thanks for all your help/advice. I'll let you know how things go
funkyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #12 
Sakura8

You're welcome. I hope the CT gets better.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:25 AM   #13 
Tikibirds

What about some shrimp for the middle compartment??
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:46 AM   #14 
snowtail

Your Tank is awesome!! Where can I get one? I live in the US.
Thanks in advance!!
snowtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:13 AM   #15 
Sakura8

Shrimp. That's an idea. Or a nerite snail.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:56 AM   #16 
funkyou

Well I just don't know anymore. He still hasn't pooped. My mum fed him once while I was away for a couple of nights. He looks really skinny other than that one bit where the two long fins hang down behind his gills. There's still no pine-coning. I've put him in epsom salts 3 times now for 15 minutes at a time but nothing's changed. They say 15 minutes to half an hour or until they poop or are stressed. How do you know when they're stressed other than colour change? Will he die if I leave him in there for too long?

IS there ANYTHING else I can DOoOoOoOoooo???
Old 12-20-2011, 07:20 AM   #17 
funkyou

HAhaha! Think I spoke too soon! Had him in the epsom salts while I posted my last cry for help, went out and there was about a 3mm round ball of poop (is that extremely large or what? No wonder he couldn't get it out by himself!) and a couple of other little bits as well! So I put him in the plain fish water to rinse off a bit, then back into his tank to feed. Hope he continues pooping now!

Tikibirds - thanks for the suggestion I've seen glass shrimp before - they're pretty cool. I'll look around and see what the most interesting ones I can find are... I'm guessing they're massive breeders though and I've heard they might be very messy, but I guess with cleaning the betta tank so often anyway it wouldn't be all that different!

Sakura8 - never heard of those snails, I'll look into that too! Thank god for the internet or all this research wouldn't be possible (or at least not as simple!)

snowtail - I got mine from the op shop in my town, but I've seen similar (lighted) ones for sale here (in Australia) in aquariums that sell the more expensive betta fish. You might be able to find them on ebay. I do like the ones like this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Goldfish-...item3a6da4dda2 and this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fighting-...item27bd91ef7e and I love this idea too: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-WALL-...item2c619b239e

Thanks for everyone's help and advice Let's hope my little boy stays well now! Thinking maybe his name should be Felix...? Or something else with an X in it... Hmm... *ponders*
Old 12-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #18 
funkyou

Or maybe I didn't speak too soon... This morning there is NO new poop in his tank, and he DOES still look pretty swollen...

Any ideas? *sighs*
Old 12-20-2011, 09:45 PM   #19 
Sakura8

Funkyou, when you put him in epsom salts, leave him around the clock until water changes. What you're doing are dips, what he needs are baths. :) Epsom salt is very mild and won't harm him so it's okay to leave him in for long periods of time. Do the water changes and redose the salt as needed until he produces more.

You can also try to get him really excited, like show him a mirror or your VT and get him to flare. Sometimes all that hyperactivity can cause them to poop. Weird but true. If you can, try feeding him frozen brine shrimp.

Hope the little guy can get his sytem moving soon.

Nerite snails come in lots of shell colors and they really don't much bigger than a medium sized coin. You can get zebra, tiger, olive . . . nice little snails.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:37 AM   #20 
funkyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Funkyou, when you put him in epsom salts, leave him around the clock until water changes. What you're doing are dips, what he needs are baths. :) Epsom salt is very mild and won't harm him so it's okay to leave him in for long periods of time. Do the water changes and redose the salt as needed until he produces more
Really? Because I've read in a few places to only leave them in for short periods of time. He does fade in colour when I put him in there (even though the water's the same temp etc) so I thought he was stressed.

Btw, he had another poop ball the last time he had a 'dip' But I suppose I shouldn't be feeding him anything other than the occasional pea until he's pooping on his own, huh?

I also read that instead of fasting one day a week, you can give them a pea one day a week to help prevent constipation - is that true?

I'm not sure I can get nerite snails in Australia, especially ones that can go in freshwater, but I'll keep an eye out for them