Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #1 
Enbarr

Good and bad news...

Well, yesterday, I had bought a new Betta. He was a halfmoon double tail male. Unfortunately, I had to return him as he was much too aggressive to my tetras. :( However, while checking out the fish store, I decided to try another Betta. He was advertised as a halfmoon but I think he may be more of a delta (though I am no expert at all when it comes to this). He seems to be okay with the fish. In the beginning, he would give a little charge if a fish got in his way, but even that has seemed to decrease a bit. The picture doesn't do his color any justice, but I thought I'd give it a try anyways.
If anyone out there knows his type (halfmoon/delta/?), please let me know... :)
Enbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:36 PM   #2 
purplemuffin

Get him to flare! :) If he's halfmoon he will have a full half circle tail. A delta will look more like this < )
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:30 AM   #3 
vilmarisv

He looks like a delta or super delta. Notice the round edge on the caudal tail fin.
Halfmoon caudal should be a straight half circle D
He's super pretty! Very good choice! I hope he works out for your community tank.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #4 
1fish2fish

Looks like a delta.

Did you add him to the community tank without quarantining him? Not to alarm you but that's probably not the best idea since you don't know if he could possibly be carrying some illness. I foolishly added a new fish to my sorority after only a week of QT and lost all but one of my females and half my neon tetras to columnaris. They went from healthy to dead in less than 12 hours. Probably $100 or more worth of breeder females... lost.

Whenever you add a new fish to a community tank it should be QT'd for at least 2 weeks, preferably a month.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #5 
Enbarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Looks like a delta.

Did you add him to the community tank without quarantining him? Not to alarm you but that's probably not the best idea since you don't know if he could possibly be carrying some illness. I foolishly added a new fish to my sorority after only a week of QT and lost all but one of my females and half my neon tetras to columnaris. They went from healthy to dead in less than 12 hours. Probably $100 or more worth of breeder females... lost.

Whenever you add a new fish to a community tank it should be QT'd for at least 2 weeks, preferably a month.
I actually did not know that. I only acclimated him to the water for about an hour. He seems to be very healthy and is the most active betta out of all of my bettas. However, should I take him out? He's been in there for a few days now...
Enbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

Since he's already in there there's not much point in taking him out. Just keep and eye out for any signs of illness. It will probably be just fine.

For future reference though its best to QT any live thing that goes into a new tank. Live plants should be QTd for 1-2 weeks and fish/inverts are best QT'd for 2-4 weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:07 PM   #7 
EvilVOG

i like his curly Ventrals
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #8 
allan47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Looks like a delta.

Learnt that lesson the hard way this week. Introduced 10 new neons into my comm tank last weekend. 3 days later I had lost four female bettas, 4 of my original neons and two swordtails from columnaris! Doing water changes every day and treating with Pimafix to save my angels, gouramis and corys.
allan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:53 PM   #9 
trilobite

^ me too I introduced calamanus worms to my fish because I was to keen
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote