Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2011, 06:23 PM   #11 
flowerslegacy

I agree w/Noah G. It sounds like "Tank Surfing" or "Glass Surfing". It's a response to boredom or a way to stay entertained. Here's a thread to help you out, to determine if this is what your guy is doing: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=70806&highlight=tank+surf If it is, you just need to add more decorations, or move around some items in the tank to distract him or give him something else to do.

Usually when you have parasites they rub themself rapidly on decorations or on the substrate. It's also called "flashing". Those occur in small bursts and you'll see them specifically rubbing on items in the tank. If he's being neurotic and just swimming up and down and up and down the glass, that sounds like "glass or tank surfing". You can go to the Betta Care Section and do a search too - there are quite a few threads out there you can read.
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #12 
NoahG

Huh, I didn't realize it had a name... *Now ponders the potential irony of tank/glass surfing with a fish named Haifisch ("shark" in German).*

Doesn't sound like as much fun as regular surfing though, heh
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:35 PM   #13 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah I agree it sounds like boredom is causing the behaviour rather than parasites or any other irritation. If it was parasites or a reaction to something such as ammonia, the fish would be flashing and scratching itself on the substrate and sides of the tank.

One of my females was a chronic glass surfer during the time I housed her in a bare-bottom tank with a scrap of moss and PVC hide to use as shelter. It only stopped, when I moved her into a much more heavily planted tank. Then, she spent most of her time patrolling around rather than swimming back and forth.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:45 PM   #14 
iLikeBetta808

thank you guys!

i put a cup in there yesterday, since i can't go to the pet store and buy anymore things. i'm low on cash. the cup really didn't do much, his behavior was still the same. i try to distract him by placing a mirror by his tank.
iLikeBetta808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:59 PM   #15 
LittleBettaFish

Haha I spent all this money buying PVC pipe joiners for my bettas to hide in, and only 2 out of 10 of them actually used it.

Doing some regular flare sessions with him should at least stimulate his territorial instinct and distract him from glass surfing. You just don't want to excite/stress him out too much, particularly if the tank is only sparsely decorated. I've found some of my more highly-strung bettas tail bite if constantly exposed to another male or mirror.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:05 PM   #16 
iLikeBetta808

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Haha I spent all this money buying PVC pipe joiners for my bettas to hide in, and only 2 out of 10 of them actually used it.

Doing some regular flare sessions with him should at least stimulate his territorial instinct and distract him from glass surfing. You just don't want to excite/stress him out too much, particularly if the tank is only sparsely decorated. I've found some of my more highly-strung bettas tail bite if constantly exposed to another male or mirror.
my betta even flares at me. lol. i try to keep it at a couple minutes, several times a day. don't wanna tear his fins >_<
Old 12-15-2011, 07:37 PM   #17 
LittleBettaFish

I put some new plants in one of my betta's tanks the other day, and within a couple of hours he had constructed a bubble nest and then proceeded to flare at me, the male in the tank over, and even at the pellets I dropped in.

It's hard to believe such a little fish can have such a big attitude. Even as fry they are always squabbling or chasing each other around.

Just remember, even if your guy doesn't quit glass surfing, it's more annoying to us, than it is harmful for him.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:43 PM   #18 
iLikeBetta808

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Just remember, even if your guy doesn't quit glass surfing, it's more annoying to us, than it is harmful for him.
thank you! i haven't seen any of my other fish doing this before, so i guess i'll just let him do whatever he wants. for now. lol.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:44 PM   #19 
LittleBettas

Cheap plants:
Dollar tree silk/fabric plants (decorations.. NO glitter)
cut to size you want, use aquarium safe glue to cover the ends (if they have wire inside) if you find one without wires inside, no reason to glue them unless you want to glue them to rocks

:)
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, stress