Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #21 
StarBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
Poor guy, that sounds like parasites. Since we don't know if they are internal or external, a good broad spectrum medication like API General Cure would be ideal. His appetite is still good right?

I've seen those white patches on dragon scaled bettas before. One of my own plakats has one as well and seems more less unaffected by it. I think he's had it for at least 5 months now. Just make sure you keep his water clean and it should either go away on it's own or remain benign.
Yup he definitely likes to eat. Thats for a fact. Thanks for the help Myates and Darkmoon17 :) Hopefully Captain America will get better!
StarBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #22 
StarBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
Poor guy, that sounds like parasites. Since we don't know if they are internal or external, a good broad spectrum medication like API General Cure would be ideal. His appetite is still good right?

I've seen those white patches on dragon scaled bettas before. One of my own plakats has one as well and seems more less unaffected by it. I think he's had it for at least 5 months now. Just make sure you keep his water clean and it should either go away on it's own or remain benign.
Oh and um where can I get API General Cure? The only pet stores around here are Petland and Popcorn Paws (i dont think popcorn paws has fish things but ill check sometime tomorrow or Sunday). Plus I don't have a credit card so I can't buy from the internet...
Old 12-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #23 
DarkMoon17

No Petsmarts in your area? Well, I guess you can try calling your local petstores and ask them about it. If they don't have anything then you can use Jungle's Parasite Clear, which isn't quite as good as General Cure, but is available at Walmart.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:08 PM   #24 
PitGurl

Kind of coming in late on this one but Petland should have what you need or something close to it. Even though it does sound like parasites like the others have suggested darting can sometimes be caused by an irritant in the water. Make sure your dosing your water conditioner correctly.
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #25 
StarBetta

Okay. I went to Popcorn paws and they had no fish things. Pet land didn't have the medication you guys said, and I was in a rush so I just grabbed and bought "Simply Betta' medication for ick and parasite cure. When I had my first betta Skyler i had no idea Bettafix was bad and he died eventually. So every time I get a medicine for bettta fish That i never heard before, then I get PARANOID and do TONS of research on the product. Everything is still packaged up and if it's a bad medcine then I can return it anytime.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:00 PM   #26 
DarkMoon17

Well... a good rule of thumb is, if it says "betta" in the name then it is overpriced and useless. Take that back if you can. Do you have a Walmart around you? Jungle Parasite cure will do the job.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:43 PM   #27 
StarBetta

well, I checked a map and there IS a walmart in nj... Since there's winter break in 1 week is it okay if my betta can wait till then? Hopefully I can convince my mom to go there.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:44 PM   #28 
StarBetta

omg! I just observed Captain America in this magnifying cup and I noticed that his right gill cover is swollen in the inside and there's more red (looks like blood) than inside the other gill cover! He has been scratching alot today and he only scratched that gill cover on his right side! Poor fishy
Old 12-18-2011, 05:46 PM   #29 
DarkMoon17

Poor guy... Are you sure you don't see any 2-3mm string-like worms in/around his gills?

Can you get Aquarium Salt? Even smaller pet stores should sell that.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #30 
StarBetta

No worms anywhere. I have Aq. Salt! Oh and here's what I found on petland.com.
http://www.petland.com/fish/health-c...guard-2oz.html Is that good?

EDIT: also, now he's scratching BOTH of his gill covers! :'(
EDIT 2: Oh and I noticed these little white specks on his mouth...