Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #1 
Laki

Any Cat Experts Here?

I need a bit of help and this is the most active forum I know!
My cat Oliver has not been feeling well for a couple days. Monday or Tuesday I gave him old food and he had diarrhea and vomited once. I realise it was my fault and I put him on wet food to clear up his diarrhea.
He never once acted like he was sick, which is why I said it was the food. He's been playful, waking us up, silly, and naughty (at the bunny) like usual.
About 20 minutes ago he vomited again. It looked like light colored gravy with nothing in it except a couple hairs. I was thinking he might have one of two things, he might have a blockage?? And he might be showing intolerance to the wet food we feed.
I feed grain free dry food and the wet food is whatever. I was still trying different ones but his favorite seems to be Friskies turkey slices. I do not live close enough to a pet supply store to get non-store brands for wet. His dry is PC Nutrition First grain free. Which is not the best, I know, but it's what we have available.
Today we're going to get hairball remedy just in case.

Oh, one important thing, he's due for his second dewormer pill on Saturday. We know he's been affected by worms pretty bad. When we got him (Nov 4 '11) he was tested negative for feline leuk and flv and was given dewormers for his always-in third eyelids.
Could he be getting sick because of a second wave of worms?

**Anyway, sorry if this doesn't belong on a betta forum but I wanted to see if anyone here could help us out. We're leaving Tuesday for Halifax and I want him to be okay before then for his babysitter! Thanks! (I am posting this on the cast forum as well, but like I said, this is a way more active and friendly forum) Thanks!!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:06 PM   #2 
mjoy79

I wish I could help. I have a cat myself but if I was in your situation, i would just take her to the vet because I would have no idea whats really going on.
My cat was vomiting a couple weeks ago but I determined it to be some treats i gave her, or possibly her filtered water dish so I took them both away and she's been fine since. I'm sorry your kitty is still having issues!
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:33 PM   #3 
Silverfang

I second the motion of taking him to the vet, it's alot safer. Hopefully it's something relatively simple to fix, like changing his diet.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:22 PM   #4 
Laki

Thanks guys :) I think I'll give him his second pill early to combat any worm issues he might be still having. And he gets another one in 3 weeks.
I bought a lick stick tonight, so I'm hoping the malt and petrolatum or whatever will clear up any blockages, if he does have any. He's been pretty good with the litter box however.
Oliver is not acting weird or sleeping more or hurt in his belly (I touched him) so hopefully it was just a bit of food intolerance. I'll call the vet tomorrow. And keep you guys posted!
Old 12-15-2011, 08:28 PM   #5 
Pitluvs

Leaving for Halifax, driving? Come visit me! haha I'm at the NFLD ferry, err close anyways!

Sorry, I have no idea whats wrong with him :( I hope he gets better :(

We're hopefully adopting a kitten with possible FLV, just waiting to get him from Halifax to here. Scary stuff.

Would Epsom salts work? hahaha jk jk
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:39 PM   #6 
Laki

lol!!! Here Ollie, take the epsom salts!!! I would literally be slaughtered.
Were flying actually :( So I won't see you. Is the ferry in Sydney? I was only ever in HRM. Matt lives in Dartmouth and his friends live in Hali. I love it there btw. <3 Not as windy or hill-y as St John's!!
Aw, good luck on the kitty! We were afraid Oliver had FLV bc of his third eyelids but he tested negative. I was totally ready to accept having him anyway and just not getting another cat for his buddy. I love him though :) My hands are scratched up so bad! I look abused! Where's the cat groups fighting for less abuse on humans?!? Sheesh!
Old 12-15-2011, 08:43 PM   #7 
LittleBettas

Contacting a vet would be the BEST option, Im no cat expert, but I do a lot of work with animal rescue (though my focus is on dogs)

A second wave of worms COULD be the cause
most wormers treat only adults, so once the eggs hatch you have to dose those
Also, the wet food may have a take in it, I know some animals are more sensitive to wet food (my pomeranian gets runs if she eats it)
Is he drinking enough water?
Take him to the vet for a check up, provide the vet with ALL information, date you got him, from where, what shots hes had, what he eats (brand), what wormer, what worms he has, etc
you can try calling, some vets will help you out that way but taking him would be the best option
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:54 PM   #8 
Laki

Well the thing with the whole situation is ... money. I only have Oliver now bc my mom's neighbor went to jail and therefore abandoned his cat outside with no one to care for him. I was not really ready for a cat since I knew financially I was not ready (from my dog being euthanized and cremated. Cost me an arm and leg). We have Oliver from his fate, couldn't leave him out there!
He seen the vet once and she did blood work and testing (flv and fel. leuk) and gave him a clean bill of health (aside from the ridiculous worms infestation) so I can't shell out the money right now.
I'm watching his food and body language for any weird ness. I'll call the vet who seen him tomorrow. ^>^
Old 12-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #9 
Silverfang

Just be careful which one you take him to, my mother was taking her cat to one vet, but found out she could get him treated by people who were just as good, closer to us, and about half the price.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #10 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
lol!!! Here Ollie, take the epsom salts!!! I would literally be slaughtered.
Were flying actually :( So I won't see you. Is the ferry in Sydney? I was only ever in HRM. Matt lives in Dartmouth and his friends live in Hali. I love it there btw. <3 Not as windy or hill-y as St John's!!
Aw, good luck on the kitty! We were afraid Oliver had FLV bc of his third eyelids but he tested negative. I was totally ready to accept having him anyway and just not getting another cat for his buddy. I love him though :) My hands are scratched up so bad! I look abused! Where's the cat groups fighting for less abuse on humans?!? Sheesh!
Actually, a FLV cat can live with non FLV cats easily, as it's transmitted through blood. As long as there's no open wounds or fighting. It's Fel Luke that's the scary one, as it's transmitted through saliva. We have a 9 yr old non FLV cat, we're confident it will be safe :)

Actually, Sydney and the whole Island is quite hilly and windy, the mainland of the province isn't. The Ferry is in North Sydney though, a little drive from where I'm at :) I took the boat over last April, got stuck out at sea for 15h in a blinding windy snowstorm. NOT impressed! HRM scares the crud out of me. Safe travels!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote