Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #11 
Silverfang

hahahaha! you think being stuck on the ferry is bad? Should try driving through wreckhouse
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #12 
Laki

I think both would be terrifying! I'm naturally nervous around large bodies of water bc I can't swim and I tremble at the thought of bottomless ocenas!! O.o
The wreckhouse would just be bloody in case of accidents. Which would be bad. The winds tearing trucks down is a scary thought!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #13 
Silverfang

if you want a bad trip, the Sir Robert Bond, that ship was around like 25ish years ago? Nothing was better than the Caribou. Retiring it was just a mistake.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #14 
tpocicat

I used to breed Ocicats, so I'm sort of an expert. Diarrhea can be caused when being switched to a new food that they aren't used to. Worms can be another reason, and it usually takes at least two usually three treatments to be rid of them. Seeing a vet is always the best course to take. Good luck with your kitty.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #15 
Sakura8

Sorry Laki that I can't help. I wish I could but it sounds like a vet IS the best call. I can advise that you make sure he stays hydrated since he's been vomiting a lot. Pinch the scruff of his neck and if it stays pinched or takes a long time to go back down, he's dehydrated. I know money is an issue but you may want to take him now before it gets worse (and more expensive). If a kitty gets dehydrated, the whole system goes out of whack. Also, it costs a lot to give a dehydrated cat intravenous fluids. I know this from experience. We rescued my neighbor's sick kitty and he ended up costing us $1400. He was vomitting, diarrhea, the whole works. In and out of the hospital. So, yeah. It may be best to act now and take him in before it costs too much.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:07 AM   #16 
Laki

@tpocicat- Thanks :) I think it might be me buying a different kind of wet food every time I'm out. I was trying to find a good wet food that he would eat the peices to rather than just lick the gravy. So he's been getting shifted wet food every few days. I have to stop doing that I suppose. His dry food has been the same since the second week or so that we got him (bought friskies and weaned him onto grain free). I also read somewhere that mixing up wet food for both
variation and stimulation would keep cats interested in wet food..Maybe I was going too hard?
I hope this second pill eradicates the second wave of worms!! He had them pretty bad. Like I said, when we got him his third eyelids were always in. After testing neg for flv and leuk (I always get the abbreviations mixed up!! But he was tested for both) the vet told us his eyelids were out bc of a weakened immune system probably caused by worms. And since shortly after the first pill (and he erm, disposed of the dead ones) his eyelids cleared right up!

@Sakura- Thanks for the neck tip! I totally forgot about it.. But I did just check (Oliver didn't mind bc he thought I was playing) and it went right back down after the twist :) He's been eating more wet food since I noticed his diarrhea (intentionally to prevent dehydration) He has not been vomiting a lot. he only did twice. First time was chucked up wet food (which is my theory on the old food) and the second time was this clear light brown stuff. Nothing since. I'm no longer worried about vomiting bc he is acting fine and I even listened to his belly (for as long as he let me) and it sounded gurgly- like everything was moving around in there normal.
I know the vet is a necessity, I'm just holding off for as long as I can. Until I notice signs of actual illness. I've been supplementing him with hairball lick stick (in his greenies bc he wont touch it otherwise) just to make sure he's going smoothly and I'm keeping my eye on him for other signs of discomfort and illness (hunched back, prolonged diarrhea, inactivity, lack of apetite etc)

Thanks guys! I know you're all concerned about the seriousness of it (me too). The vet will be called if things persevere. For now, would you like to see a video of him playing? (from a couple weeks ago, I haven't had time to upload new ones):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFCJKVK4_4M

Last edited by Laki; 12-17-2011 at 09:07 AM. Reason: separate paragraphs :) loving the edit button already!
Old 12-17-2011, 09:15 AM   #17 
GwenInNM

I've only skimmed the posts, so not sure what the status of your kitten is. Stop switching food until you can get the stool issue under control. Feed bland food, boiled chicken and that is it. You need to be concerned about dehydration. A kitten can get blockages by digesting things they find to play with. If the symptoms you decribed days ago are still present, you need to take to vet.

A young kitten likely does not have a hairball, but that is possible.

Best of luck.
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:20 AM   #18 
Sakura8

Laki, glad to hear he's no longer vomitting. And I understand about the vet, totally. Sounds like you've got things under control and I know you'll get him right into the clinic if he gets worse. :) Most likely the wet food issue. It's just like a cat to lick off the gravy and that's it. If all he likes is gravy, I think there are "cat gravies" on the market that you can drizzle on his dry food.

And by the way, he is ADORABLE! What striking markings! Looks like you've made a catnip "druggie" out of him. :D
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #19 
tpocicat

I'm glad your kitten is doing better. Sometimes they clear up on their own...but it's never a good idea to wait too long. I totally understand about the expense of the vet. Hope your kitty continues to feel good.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #20 
Laki

Thanks guys!! @GwenInNM- he's not a young kitten, though he acts like one usually!
We talked about the vet and it's definitely something I want to clear up before we go to Halifax for the holidays!