Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #1 
PewPewPew

Thumbs down My (negative) aquabid experience

I recently tried to buy a fish from Hopdiggity on AB. Ive never had a problem with her as a shipper or as a trans-shipper. To my surprise, though, I got VERY heated replies after sending an email about my DOA. Its a real shame, all of this, because my roommate and friend helped pitch in for this little guy after Baller died for a Christmas gift.

This is the reply, nothing has been edited. WARNING: Links contain photos of a dead/decomposed ish fish, please view with caution. The youtube video is 100% safe, however.

Hi Jen.

My fish arrived today DOA. I have a video of him being unboxed and photos of his condition upon arrival. To be perfectly honest, I am quite dissatisfied. I have bought a number of fish from you before and they have all come on time, alive and their heat packs still warm.
Upon opening the box the heat pack was ice cold, as was the water in the bag. I have had fish be delivered from the start of week and come at the end with the heat packs warm (from you). There was one heat pack in that package, which I feel was lacking, considering the time of year.

He also came to me with a wound under his left pectoral. His wound was in a place that it could not have been self-inflicted, and it looked old. I am uncertain why he would have this wound unless he had it prior to shipping, and if so, why he was sent in that condition. The wound when from his pectoral to near his ventrals and was scaless, fleshy and looked infected.

I believe the fish died early into shipping. Upon arriving his water was full of decomposing flesh, his gills fully covered in white tissue, and he was in full rigor. I have been keeping for many years and have not seen this kind of decomposition in a fish unless it has been a number of days. He was likley dead on Tuesday or Wednesday.

I will attach the photos and video (on youtube) of opening the fish and immediately following. Please excuse the commentary from my roommate (holding the camera), as she was extremely upset (this was her Christmas gift to me). The lights are off in the video to gently introduce the fish into light, so please ignore that. I am very upset and rather disappointed. I have never had a negative experience with you as a seller or transhipper before and am frankly surprised this happened. I constantly recommend you and promote your shipping methods to anyone inquiring on bettafish.com, where I am a senior and respected member. Did you pack the fish for transport? Please let me know.

I would hope this issue can be resolved in some way and would ask you for a reply. I would be very saddened to discontinue shipping through you in worry this could happen again. Your spawns are excellent and your transhipping is usually wonderful and meticulous. Thank you for reading and I await hearing from you again.

Sincerely,

Alyssa **** and Summer ****
(Receiver and orderer of the fish)

Youtube of unboxing (immediately following delivery from USPS):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h078o6GjLI

Photos:
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/...38743147_n.jpg
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/...45592792_n.jpg
(wound circled in red)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

Summer

I would love to send you a longer reply but not right now as I am a bit
upset by many of the insinuations in your email. The fact that the fish
went Priority and a heat pack did not sustain the full week is not shocking.
I feel very insulted by many of the insinuations made in this email. I have
been shipping for 7 years (at least 100 fish per week). I would NEVER ship
a fish with a wound and frankly if the fish was as decomposed as you suggest
how can you say it is a "wound" and not part of decom? The mere suggestion
that I shipped a sick or "wounded" fish for that matter is offensive. I
feel like you took a gamble with Priority, this time of year USPS was slow
and your gamble did not pay off and now you are blaming me. Normally I
would just refund the price of the fish to you despite you choosing
Priority, but frankly after this email it is going to take me a while to
consider as I am a little more than upset with the way you approached this.
I am not going to watch the video as I am sure from your comment it will
probably make me more upset and I would no longer be able to communicate.
Fish die, it happens and I am willing to make things right but there is no
reason to try to place blame where there is none. Or if you do maybe accept
some of it yourself for choosing Priority. Well looks like this reply is
longer than I initially anticipated.

Thanks
Jennifer
Old 12-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

Jen,

I'm sorry you felt attacked by my email to you. This was not my intention, of course. I'm very surprised by your reaction and disappointed. I regret you took my comments as "insinuations" but I was trying to cover all my bases and explore options for the fish's death. I realize that priority shipping was a gamble but I am certainly not ruling it out. I figured that would be a given to say, though it was not taken as such. I apologize for not making that more clear.

I regret to say it but Im very disappointed in your reaction to my email. It's bothering me that a seller of your candor would reply to me with such personal anger. I'm puzzled at this type of reaction and your unwillingness to view the youtube video of my unboxing. I can assure you that the only commentary in the video is my roommate trying to figure out my camera, me telling her "Oh no, the heat pack is cold" and the announcement the fish had died, followed by my roommate and I exclaiming we are sad. I feel like it is unprofessional to have not viewed this video and more unprofessional for you to hang a refund over my head until I more or less apologize. Jen, I can assure you that if you had phrased your email in a different way and did not put so much anger into it I would have certainly tried to explain and let you know I did not mean to "insinuate" as much as I apparently did.

The reason I asked if he had a wound was because it appeared he did. Yes, he was quite decomposed. Still, it did not look like something caused by decomp alone. Perhaps, of course, this was indeed caused by an extraneous factor, but I was not sure. You could have told me, "No, your fish was not shipped with an injury, I would never allow that to happen". But instead it was reacted to with a flaunting of how often and how much you shipped fish, which did not resolve the issue. I merely was implying that I considered it a possibility. I find it wonderful that I now know how often and much you ship (on such a great scale), but I did not know it nor could I have known this without you telling me.

As for the refund, I find it strange you would imply in an email I need to apologize in order to get one, or would more or less hang it over my head. If you do not wish to send one, you are by no means obligated to do so. I do not wish for a replacement nor anything else at this time but would welcome it for my roommate who purchased it for me. I feel awful for dragging her gift through the mud in such a way. I understand that "fish die, it happens", and that Priority probably had a great deal to do with it considering the circumstances, but I would expect more compassion from the seller (owner) of a business to be more respectful. I know fish die and it's upsetting, for certain, especially since this little fellow was going to be a pet and not for breeding. He even had a name, "Poot in Boots".

I have gone over our reactions with a number of my fellow hobbyists and they are surprised by your heated email. I am as well. I would implore you to next time take a day or two to wait to reply, even if you are very angry, and write in a calmer way, regardless of how personally offended you are.

Again, I do sincerely apologize for how my message was taken and genuinely want to let you know it was not meant in the way it was taken. I would like to respectfully let you know I will not be purchasing from you in future nor recommending you, but I will (certainly) not bad mouth you about anything. I would appreciate keeping this professional, because I would argue with the last email it was no longer professional.

I wish you luck with your endeavors.

**This is completely sincere, btw. I really did not mean to "attack" her in any way. A simple miscommunication, really. Oh well. Never again, sad to say.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #4 
Sweeda88

Wow. I'm speechless. She was WAY out of line. I'm so sorry that you had to deal with her rudeness on top of the death of your fish. She had no right to respond to you in such an unprofessional and vindictive manner.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #5 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
I have been shipping for 7 years (at least 100 fish per week).

Thanks
Jennifer

Last edited by bahamut285; 12-09-2011 at 08:11 PM.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #6 
TheCrysCat

-.- This is just unprofessional. I don't care if she was having a bad day or not; I hope you get an apology. And I am really sorry about the fish :(
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #7 
xswornxoffxjello

That is just crazy. D8 I'm so so sorry about your Poot in Boots. He was adorable. </3
xswornxoffxjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #8 
kathstew

I'm really sorry about Poots in Boots, Alyssa. ):

I'm even more sorry about how she responded to you though. That is terrible. Unprofessional and just plain disrespectful. :/

I don't care HOW many fish she ships a week.

I don't even see anything remotely rude in your e-mail anyway. She had no right to reply to you like that.

I'm really sorry ):
*hugs*
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #9 
Arashi Takamine

Leave bad feedback and tell her you want a refund. I don't think it's legal as a seller for her to hold your refund over your head like that. I'm pretty sure wounds like that don't happen from decomp (I watched a lot of cop shows and saw a lot of dead things) It sounds more like he was fought.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi Takamine View Post
Leave bad feedback and tell her you want a refund. I don't think it's legal as a seller for her to hold your refund over your head like that. I'm pretty sure wounds like that don't happen from decomp (I watched a lot of cop shows and saw a lot of dead things) It sounds more like he was fought.
I just want to play devils advocate for a minute and say that she does NOT fight fish. I don't know how that wound got on that fish but please don't make that accusation on a public forum.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote