Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #1 
rosarouge

Stressful filter?

So I just today added my female (Zombie) and three Mystery snails (Arthur, Conan, and Doyle) to a new 2.5 gallon tank. Previously they were in a one gallon.

I also got a filter, which I have never used before. It's working fine, except I'm concerned it's too forceful. Zombie seems very agitated by the whole thing, and when I unplugged the filter, she calmed down.

Do I need a new filter or should I give her time to get used to it or should I go filter-less?
rosarouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

Wow, three snails are going to create quite a bioload! Be careful with that. In theory you should have 1 extra gallon for each snail, at the very least.

You should baffle the filter. It is pretty straightforward. Just take an aquarium sponge for a bigger filter, like this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...4144&lmdn=Fish

And then use a rubberband to hold it against the filter output. Problem solved!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #3 
rosarouge

Thanks, I'll get right on that. Zombie is pretty stressed out.

And the way I got three snails is a long story. XD My intention was to just have Zombie, but they just kind of... showed up.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #4 
Kytkattin

Are you sure they are truly a species of what commonly sold as a mystery snail? Sounds more like pond snails, which wouldn't be much of a problem in small number!

Though also keep in mind that without live plants, it is very difficult to "cycle" anything smaller than 5 gallons, so the filter will probably not do very much for you anyways...
Old 12-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #5 
rosarouge

Okay. Here's the story (please don't flame me).

During the Thanksgiving season, my husband and I were invited to a different state to be with family. I couldn't find a single person able to come and feed Zombie, so someone suggested I get a couple of snails at Petsmart. They'd clean the tank a little, and Zombie could eat them if she was hungry.

But she didn't, and now I have snails.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #6 
Kytkattin

Don't worry. We are not supposed to flame people here! Plus then how would we be able to help you make things work better for you and your fish if we scared you away?

Though I do have to ask again, are you 100% sure they are mystery snails (also known as apple snails)? About the size of a quarter, in gold, blue, or black? Unfortunately, snails do not clean the tank in the slightest. Sure, they might eat a little algae off the walls, but that would take you like 2 minutes to scrub off, vs the amount they poop! And true apple snails are very difficult, if not impossible for a betta to eat. Maybe bite off a tentacle, but no more damage than that.

Also, bettas don't need to be fed every day. They can go up to two weeks or more without eating! The more important thing is water quality, which can only be maintained for that long if they have a 5 gallon tank or bigger with a filter (aka, cycled). Anything smaller requires either a ton of plants, or semi-weekly water changes!
Old 12-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #7 
rosarouge

Two are gold-ish and one is a little too light to really be called "black". More the color of charcoal. One of the gold ones is a little smaller than the others, but the other two are the size of a quarter, yeah. I've started asking around if anyone with an aquarium near me would want any of them. Even if I was convinced I, myself wanted them, Zombie is a big bully to them.

Unfortunately, my apartment is very, very small. A 2.5 dominates my bedroom, so I don't think I'll be going much bigger than what I have now. :/
Old 12-04-2011, 05:37 AM   #8 
Draug Isilme

Gee, that's a predicament.. I hope you can find your snails good homes if you can't provide a good amount of room for them. They're supposed to get 2-6 inches in diameter >.>... So.. pretty darn big and a crap load of waste from each snail.... I'm surprised someone suggested you get snails and not something like ghost shrimp- they're usually cheaper, they produce alot less waste than a snail would, and they grow to about an inch in length. You're probably going to notice a bad smell coming from your tank water not too long from now with your apple snails in there..... My first apple snail I got, not even half an inch long, I thought it was going to be okay for him to stay in a small vase temporarily (tank was cycling). I was going to do 100% water changes every day, but not even half a day, the water stunk to high heaven, it was ungodly >.< Very grody, and almost made me wanna throw up a couple of times.... I stuck him in my cycling tank after that >.> Seemed like it would be less damage on his health by doing that....
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:32 AM   #9 
rosarouge

So the snails have found a new home with a neighbor and I added a baffle. However, even after a couple of days, she still has stress lines. Should I go without the filter or should I just wait for her to get used to it?
Old 12-15-2011, 04:32 AM   #10 
Thunderloon

Check the tank for vibration/noise. I've got one boy who HATES having an air pump on the table at all. I hang them from the ceiling on springs in cloth bags now.

Even with a baffle the total water flow can still be too much. Which 2.5g is it? Mini-bow, Petco brand, Tetra?
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter questions