Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2011, 01:11 AM   #1 
Myrtaceae

Smile Oh dear, bit by the fish-bug again...

Hey there everyone!

So. My first fish was a very sick pet store betta in a two gallon tank that I hid from my parents for a couple of months in a cabinet, using lunch money to buy his tank and medicine & doing water changes at night-- I'd gone in to buy cat treats and walked by the bettas. They were almost all completely listless, but one little guy with raggedy fins flared at me and I was lost. The parents do eventually discover me, and catch the aquarium bug themselves. I go to college and am heartbroken when my favorite companion dies-- I vow to never keep pets that live under 5 years again.

(note to kids: please don't do this. your parents probably won't laugh about it when they find a surprise fish in your closet. I'm pretty sure it was pure shock that let me escape.)

10 years later, my husband starts looking through my old pictures and goes: "You had a crab! That's so cool, we should get a crab!" I say, "Oh, they're so much more work than you expect!" and figure it's just a passing fancy. But months go by, and he's still mentioning it.

Turns out I'm powerless to resist him, so I set up a 10 gallon appropriately and order a crab from my LPS. Of course, that means I have to visit the LPS...and I'm sure you can guess where this is going . His name is Vimes, and he's a lovely little blue/red PK male who is getting very annoyed by my big 'ol face staring at him all the time.

I don't have any pictures yet, but I will be firing up my camera soon. Anyway, I'm sure it will be nice to meet you. I'm excited to learn more about the hobby(it feels weird to call pets a 'hobby' but it seems to be the term for keeping fish), and offer what I can from the experience I have (mostly bettas, but I have kept other tropicals). Thanks for reading.
Myrtaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:53 AM   #2 
GreenTea

I think of it as a hobby because it's something I enjoy doing, and like all hobbies, can get expensive and time consuming ;)

Welcome again, can't wait to see pics! We love pics here.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:11 AM   #4 
onefish2fish

welcome to the forum.
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Hope to here more about your collection.... soon to be ... lol
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #6 
Jrf456

Welcome to the forum! Be advised that the betta bug spreads rapidly once you join this site.. You start to see other tail types and color variations you didn't know even existed, you start to see them as more of family than just stupid fish (not that you do now, but I know a lot of beginners have that attitude at first) and end up buying every beautiful and sick one you see!
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:20 PM   #7 
Myrtaceae

Hehe, yeah, my poor husband has no idea what he's in for....

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!
Myrtaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote