Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2011, 09:05 PM   #1 
SwimmR

Hidey Holes - what do you use?

So, I'm looking for good things to use in my 1 gal bowl for hiding places. What do you use? (I'm testing the theory that Starburst isn't eating because he's too startled/stressed and needs hiding places). I have a plant in there (not the one in the picture, a real one with wide leaves), but that doesn't really "hide" him.
SwimmR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #2 
gbose

Suggest you wait and see. After a couple of days, the stress level should come down and he'll settle in.

Important, is your tank 'cycled' if not, you could kill him. I lost my first 2 bettas that way.

Good luck!

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:37 PM   #3 
Luimeril

none of mine use them anymore. Dante loved this barrel cave, but he got his head stuck in it one day, and died because i didnt' catch the wound and it got infected. little bugger. uumm... Purple loved this part of a shipwreck. i still have both, but won't give them to anyone.

some use unused coffee mugs. i use sterilized candle holders. but, generally, my bettas don't like caves.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:45 PM   #4 
ArcticRain

I just use the normal pet store caves. But, i'm one of those people who is really paranoid. So i have to find a cave that just has one big opening and NO possible way for him to get stuck. I found this one cave at walmart. Its just a log with an opening on each end and thats it. There are no way on earth that they could get hurt using this cave! And thats what I like about it!
ArcticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:50 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

I have small PVC pipe pieces in most of my tanks. Only a couple of my bettas regularly use these, however. I've found they much prefer hiding in amongst broad-leaf or floating plants, such as anubias and wisteria.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:36 AM   #6 
SwimmR

Yeah, GB, I thought so too (just wait a few days). But it's been 9 days since I brought him home and still not eating much.
As for cycling, this is a bowl, not a tank so I just do 100% water changes. Seems to work fine for all 5 of my bettas.
I do like the idea of more plants instead of something they can get stuck in. I'll try to find some low-light tolerant ones, since this is not a tank with a light cover, but just gets a little bit of sunlight.
SwimmR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:13 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

This tank only gets about an hour or two of indirect sunlight and the anubias are all thriving. I do have a crypt in there, but that would probably suffer with 100% water changes.

Java fern can work, though I've found it does like a little more light than anubias. Another easy-care plant that does well with indirect sunlight and can cope with 100% changes, is java moss. My bettas all usually sleep in or under the moss that is in their tank.

I always prefer live over fake plants as they look more natural, and there is no way they will rust or break down over time, and you don't need to worry about them snagging your betta's fins.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #8 
FuulieQ

None of my bettas seem to care much for their caves. I found a little broken pot type ornament and stuck that in Robert's tank just in case, along with one of the floating betta logs, and I've only seen him in it a couple of times. He likes to swim through the log, but doesn't sit in it like Friedrich used to. He's usually sleeping in the plants.

I would think about getting him a bigger tank if he doesn't calm down in another week or so. It could be that the constant water changes required with a bowl are too scary for him. Some fish seem to do okay with it, but I know Robert would probably have a stroke - he's really neurotic. :P
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #9 
Tikibirds

I search ebay and see what I can find.

ALL of my bettas seem to love these things
http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Silico...item3f1128ba11

They like to wedge themselves in it. Its kinda funny to watch. Not really a hidy hole but they seem to love them.

I also have a bunch of those hideously bring neon ceramic caves from walmart and coffee mugs.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 12-16-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote