Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #1 
thatgirl

Is This Weird? ADVICE!!!!

It's been awhile. My betta, Stanley, normally lives in a 1.5 gallon heated tank. I notice when he is in there he either floats at the top (he seems to have some type of SBD problem) or when he's not all floaty he's hiding under the rock arch. Whenever I get near he gets his stress stripe. He is also really pale. Still eats fine though.

Now, I have him in a little non-heated travel tank (.5 gallon) because I'm going home from school. I notice that he has his color back, he doesn't float, he doesn't get his stress stripe, poops like a champ, and he just seems happier. Since the tank is so small I clean it everyday. He has been in this tank for a little over a week.

Does a larger tank stress him out?
Should I just keep him in the small non-heated tank if he seems comfortable?
thatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #2 
Myates

Some bettas do prefer smaller spaces, since they haven't had the chance to be in bigger tanks (other then a grow out tank at the breeder's for a short time, then moved to jars, then cups, etc) before we bring them home.
The 1.5 heated would be better for him, as the heater in itself is more healthy.
Possibly try adding in a few more silk plants? If you give him the illusion that it's not that big of a space, he may be more comfortable. That is what I would try first- plenty of silk plants both tall and short.

If he still hates it, then the half gallon would work- just keep it in a spot in a room that stays warm. 2 50% and 1 100% is all that is really needed, water change wise, in a half gallon.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote