Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #11 
Arashi Takamine

Thanks guys. I know a goldfish's minimuim is 20 gallons for a single I just wanted to hear what this guy was thinking. (Cause to me goldfish bring back baaaad memories...Including the only time I ever fainted in my life) 'Sides...Goldfish are nice but betta's are cooler in my opinion.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:28 AM   #12 
Luimeril

one day. i will own a pair of pearlscale goldfish. :U i'm always keeping my eyes open for a wonderfully cheap 30 gallon and stand, because i WILL own a pair. xD
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #13 
Sakura8

Arashi-chan, now I'm dying to know why a goldfish made you faint.

No goldfish here, just a baby koi who'll be rehomed in the spring to a nice big pond. My only goldfish died of what I suspect was columnaris or just because she came from a severely overcrowded tank at Petsmart.

Anywhoo, I think you need to get yourself a new betta girl, Arashi-chan. You have too big of a heart not to rescue another betta. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #14 
Pitluvs

Oh! Also, RO water should not be used with Bettas or many tropical fish. RO water has nothing in it, nothing but pure H2o, which isn't good for fish. I usually only recommend RO water if you are replacing the minerals and such with each water change manually. Usually people use RO water to cut down another type of water, not 100%. I am sure you could get away with regular tap water and a good water conditioner. Prime or Stress Coat is amazing, and it would cost you about $20 for a bottle that lasts FOREVER. Much cheaper than RO water :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #15 
Sakura8

Right, if you use R/O water you should get Kent's R/O Right. It adds back the minerals that R/O takes out. Pitluvs is totally right.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #16 
allan47

Goldfish need a big tank or a pond. Mine are in 85 gallons. Too many people keep fish in small tanks that are entirely unsuitable. I would not keep a betta in any kind of tank under 6 gallons and not without a filter and a heater.
Look after your water and the water will look after your fish. Ammonia and nitrite kill fish. Good filtration is a must to eliminate ammonia and nitrites from your tank.
allan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #17 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Arashi-chan, now I'm dying to know why a goldfish made you faint.

No goldfish here, just a baby koi who'll be rehomed in the spring to a nice big pond. My only goldfish died of what I suspect was columnaris or just because she came from a severely overcrowded tank at Petsmart.

Anywhoo, I think you need to get yourself a new betta girl, Arashi-chan. You have too big of a heart not to rescue another betta. :)
I was four year old got my first pet fish ever..(Oh the memories) Well I only had the little sucker for a day in the classic fish bowl (oh how naive I was) It was dead the next morning and first thing my dad says to me when I go to feed my new pet is: "Don't bother it's dead and flushed." Next thing I knew I was waking up in my bed in the middle of the night. I didn't even remember hitting the floor.

Thanks for that info about RO water guys I'll be sure to when Lulu gets his 100 percent to acclimate him to a conditioned tap instead.

I'm planning on getting another betta girl I just gotta pick a place that will be trustworthy to buy from. I think I'm gonna stalk my local petco during one of their shipping days and buy my new girl from them. I'll pick up a decent heater the day before too. (Replacing Kai's old marina one it's finally crapped out on us.)
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:58 PM   #18 
Sakura8

What a wonderfully sensitive father. *hugs* Poor Arashi-chan, I can see why you'd faint, that's a lot to unload on a 4 year old first thing in the morning.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:59 PM   #19 
Bombalurina

I think you need another betta.
I think everyone should buy a new betta for Christmas.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:11 PM   #20 
Sakura8

Hi Bombalurina, the great enabler. :)