Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2011, 11:21 PM   #1 
EvilVOG

strange one

So i have this giant PK girl. (from the "permanent stress stripe?" thread. Anyway to recap:

I bought her from a grocery store. She was in a tank (about 10 gallon) labeled "female betta". The tank had about 8 other PK bettas in it and they were intermixed male and female. I had her a couple weeks and her stress stripe (she had it when i bought her) wouldn't go away. She wasn't hiding or anything and seemed happy.

Soon after writing that post she seemed to develop SBD where she was just sitting on the bottom and you had to rouse her to get up and get some air. She was also clamped. So i put her in a 1 gallon qt gave her the Epsom salt treatment and she came right out of it. Within hours, she had full color and was swimming fine. I discontinued the Ep. salt after 2 days, and returned her to the 20 gallon community tank.

A day or so after she went back to the 20g, her color got dull, clamped up and soon after that she started doing a shark impression. She would just swim around the very top of the water, breaking the surface with her dorsal fin. I started to suspect she could not submerge.

So a few days ago she started to show signs of fin rot, and lack of appetite. So i put her in another 1 gal qt. This time with Aq. salt. Again her color came back and she unclamped overnight. While she was in the salt she started jumping. At random mostly, once she jumped like 3x in a row. The fin rot stopped progressing right away so after 2 days of salt i changed her to just water (all 100% daily changes). She still jumps from time to time, i don't know if that's got anything to do with anything else. But she can swim middle again too. She's been on just water changes for about 3 days, i think her fins are coming back but it's hard to tell. She's having a little trouble with her pellets, but she's persistent and will eventually get them down.

The question is once she's eating good again, do i put her back into the community tank? Or just forget that idea and keep her in the smaller QT?

Housing
What size is your tank? community 20g, qt about 1g
What temperature is your tank? community 80, qt is about 78
Does your tank have a filter? Community yes, QT no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no/no
Is your tank heated? yes/yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 4 rasboas, 8 GS and a snail/ QT none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon pellets and replace one feeding a week with bloodworms, and one with glassworms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 20gal is cycled, no changes, QT once a day.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? none for 20g/ 100% for QT
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

All are from the 20g tested almost exactly the same last week.
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:6.5
Hardness:150
Alkalinity: 120

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? see above
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? see above
When did you start noticing the symptoms? see above
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? see above
Does your fish have any history of being ill? see above
How old is your fish (approximately)? no idea. I think she's older but i've had her for a month.

You can also see my aquariums under my aquariums tab on the left there.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:13 AM   #2 
Myates

I can think of two possibilities for her actions-

One is that you say you never change your water in the 20g.. cycled tanks still need weekly water changes- still need siphoning each week or every other week.. as the filter doesn't remove waste, but hides it in the substrate. It may be that your other fish had gotten used to the unfavorable water (which in time will catch up to fish, but otherwise it slowly deteriorated to allow it not to be a shock to your other fish), and the new girl just can't take it.

Very highly recommended to do 25-30% water change weekly in the 20g, regular siphoning of the substrate. For now, do 10% every other day for the next few days, as a large water change after no water changes can be deadly, but needs to be done.

Second thing is she may not like community tanks/large tanks.. being in the environment she was in before was probably stressful that she is now not comfortable being in a tank with other fish once more.
But I would place her in a larger tank- as true giants get too large to be in much of anything less then 3-5 gallons.

True SBD issues where they have buoyancy problems you will see tilting onto the side, floating with head or tail up, trouble swimming, etc.. AQ salt can actually make SBD problems worse- so when you placed her in QT last time because she was swimming the top was most likely her not having problems, but stressed and having a reaction to the tank.. as well as her laying on the bottom, clamped up, etc.
From the sounds of what she was doing, it sounds more from stress/water chemistry related then anything else.

Last edited by Myates; 12-16-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:32 PM   #3 
EvilVOG

Sorry i should have mentioned the 20g was still getting a weekly change of 50% at the time she was still in it, as even though readings said it was cycled it was the first time it read that way. It's only been set up for just under a month. This week was the first week i stopped changing it as i thought that's what OFL said to do with these planted tanks. But it probably does need siphoning and that would probably be about 25% of the water.

She got the AQ salt because she had a nasty outbreak of fin rot. She lost almost all her fins in about 12 hours. She was kind of tail up at the time but she's stopped that now.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #4 
tpocicat

Since she was in a community tank before, she may just be stressed with community living. She may have to be alone to be happy.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:13 PM   #5 
EvilVOG

Yeah that's what i'm afraid of. my other QT tank currently has another male and female (divided) that are about ready to come out and i was hoping to get both girls into the community (and maybe getting 3 more girls), so the one Male would have a tank to himself and i'd have a free qt.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:00 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

oh my that girl has just got a line of things lol. I agree, when they say she could be stressed. some girls just cannot be with other fish sadly :(
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #7 
Myates

Even planted tanks need weekly water changes- 20 gal planted, I would say 25% per week- siphoning only once or twice a month as the plants will use the waste as food.

HIGHLY suggest not adding in just the two females.. need 5+ in a community, add them in together. Adding just two females in together, even for a short while, will normally end up with one wrecked, near death or dead.. not a good idea.

Fin rot doesn't work that fast- it takes a while, 12 hours won't remove fins such as you are describing. Unsure what "GS" is under fish- but I'm willing to bet it was a fish that nipped her fins more then fin rot of any type.. may also account for her stress.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:01 PM   #8 
EvilVOG

ghost shrimp.

I would've called it tailbiting but it was all her fins. Ventral dorsal anal and tail.

Everything in that tank was afraid of her, they wouldn't come near her as i got all stuff that's smaller than her. And she would chase the rasboras if they came anywhere near her.

Yeah i know about the 5+ sorority, was planning on getting 3 or so more girls as they're 99 cents right now.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:06 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

lol I did the same though - got two girls, then got two more. But I tried mine in a community tank and they were the devils :o hopefully you have a better time o-o
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:13 AM   #10 
Tikibirds

I was gonna say tail rot wont destroy fins in 12 hours. I would say tail bitting but I dont think females can bit their tails??
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote