Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2011, 11:33 PM   #1 
Tobythefish

help with ridding tank of killer slime

I bought a sick fish(from a pet store that I have since learned has a reputation for selling sick fish) a while ago and it died within 48 hours. I transferred the old plants (after rinsing them) to a new 2.5 gallon tank, added a tetra 50 watt heater and bought a new fish, which, surprise, surprise, died within three days. When each fish got sick, this slime would appear, looking almost like strands floating in the water. After rinsing everything yet again, I bought a third fish, very healthy looking, and this guy made it a record four days. Needless to say, I almost gave up on keeping fish. I now have two healthy bettas(which I have housed in new aquariums), and am preparing the original tank for a third. I bleached it in a 5% bleach solution 10 days ago, tossed the plants, and let the tank sit for 4 days. Also bleached the heater. I then filled the tank with dechlorinated water, added new gravel, and the bleached heater. After 5 days, I noticed that some really slimy slime had accumulated on the inside of the tank, especially the heater. This slime isn't visible in the water itself (though the water looks cloudy) but can be felt. It doesn't appear to be algae. I am a bit reluctant to add the little betta and doom him to a certain death. Any suggestions on what to do? Do I need to chuck the whole set up, or can I treat the tank/heater in a way to finally get rid of this slime? Thanks for any help!
Tobythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:44 PM   #2 
kfryman

The most I can say is maybe repeat the process of bleaching multiple times and then rinsing. The best bet would to be safe. Maybe up the bleach too. If the next fish dies I would probably just chuck it. I just thought of a way to test it out. Get one or two ghost shrimp, they are 49 cents at my Petco. They also have almost no bioload and they are compatible with bettas!
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:53 PM   #3 
Tobythefish

Thanks. we'll try this. What about 10% bleach solution?
Old 12-15-2011, 11:56 PM   #4 
kfryman

As long as you rinse it out and allow it to dry you can go to even 50%. Just make sure it is all dry because bleach evaporates. So bleach solution, rinse, allow to dry.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:58 PM   #5 
Tobythefish

Ok, thanks. We'll do that.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:03 AM   #6 
kfryman

Okay are you gonna try the shrimp?
Old 12-16-2011, 12:05 AM   #7 
Tobythefish

Yeah. It sounds fun!
Old 12-16-2011, 12:10 AM   #8 
kfryman

Make sure you also get som algae wafers for them to eat so they don't starve. Btw having shrimp is cool. They maintain the tank but you will still need to do water changes. Ghost shrimp are cool to watch eat because you can see their organs moving. Note that a betta may kill the shrimp if they don't have enough cover or the betta just doesn't want tank mates. The shrimp aren't very expensive so you wont be to bummed with money loss.