Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2011, 10:55 PM   #1 
Orikitone

Can't tell if my girl's a fatty?

First post and it's because of a mild curiosity for my little crowntail girl Bails (named so I can come into the apartment and greet her with "Hey Bails!").

When I first got her she had a bit of a belly on her and was kinda pale. She was quite a find though in a Petco with being what I assume to be a black orchid. (Black body with little blue flares at the base of her fins.) I've had her about a month and a half in a 10g tank that sits between 79F-80F. Her color has gotten darker and she's feeding well enough to make me think I starve her. I don't though, 1 pellet in the morning and two in the evening with the occasional treat of either dried blood worm or mysis. Shes so tiny I'm terrified to feed her anymore.

My question though, pertains to her belly. She still has it and her color around it is kinda pale; almost stretched looking. It's not huge, and she's active enough to hint away from it actually bothering her. I don't know what it is though.

I've looked at a few articles on it and most of them lean towards her being egg heavy, which is a bit of a problem. I don't have the time, money, or space for a spawn. Or even a boy to consider it if I had all three. Will her not spawning anytime soon harm her or will it eventually "pass"?

A couple days ago I saw three yellow-ish things "dislodge" from her (I didn't see exactly where it came from 'cause I was worrying over soaking her pellets), but she ate them before I could get a really good look at what they may have been. Haven't seen anything like them since though.
Orikitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:07 PM   #2 
kfryman

You never have to breed a betta fish. Some females will get eggy and sometimes they will give off their eggs, the good thing though is that they will eat most of the eggs. Don''t worry about breeding, you don't have to to maintain her and keep her healthy. You can spawn her but that takes money, time, and space for all the babies once they get older.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:15 PM   #3 
Orikitone

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
You never have to breed a betta fish. Some females will get eggy and sometimes they will give off their eggs, the good thing though is that they will eat most of the eggs. Don''t worry about breeding, you don't have to to maintain her and keep her healthy. You can spawn her but that takes money, time, and space for all the babies once they get older.
A relief to know, thank you. It was a bit worrisome to not see the belly go away over time. It's been about a month and a half now, not including the time she's had it in the pet store. I don't find the "stretched" look all that unattractive to her, but it was odd to see that it wasn't black like the rest of her body scales.

Another question though, will she lose energy when she "passes" the eggs or will life go on as normal for my little horker? lol
Orikitone is offline   Reply With Quote