Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #1 
GMPalace

betta got heater, now lethargic & clamped fins

Hello, I'm new to the forum and have a quick question... we got a betta about two months ago. He is in a 2 gallon tank. He seemed happy there, was very active and eating.

We decided to get a heater to help keep the water at 75 (it was around 68). This past Sunday, we changed his water (using spring water) and he seemed very stressed. Then we got a heater, and gently upped it 1 degree a day. Today it's at 73 degrees.

He discovered the heater, and now he floats next to it and doesn't move. Ever. He floats at the top of the tank and now has clamped fins... he is eating but is very lethargic.

I was going to try changing the water 100% tonight as it is a bit cloudy. Is there anything else we can do? I'm really worried. I thought the heater would be a good thing!
GMPalace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:28 PM   #2 
Tikibirds

Heaters are a good thing. They should have temps between 78-82.

Did you wash the heater before putting it in the tank? I'm thinking maybe something got into the water and is upsetting him. is it possible the heater is leaking something into the tank?? What kind is it?

I would do a 100% water change and see if that helps.
Wait - you said spring water. Do you use conditioner as well?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #3 
MarcusTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMPalace View Post
Hello, I'm new to the forum and have a quick question... we got a betta about two months ago. He is in a 2 gallon tank. He seemed happy there, was very active and eating.

We decided to get a heater to help keep the water at 75 (it was around 68). This past Sunday, we changed his water (using spring water) and he seemed very stressed. Then we got a heater, and gently upped it 1 degree a day. Today it's at 73 degrees.

He discovered the heater, and now he floats next to it and doesn't move. Ever. He floats at the top of the tank and now has clamped fins... he is eating but is very lethargic.

I was going to try changing the water 100% tonight as it is a bit cloudy. Is there anything else we can do? I'm really worried. I thought the heater would be a good thing!
get a better heater betas love warm water my water sits at 79F with a heater
and my beta is very happy try increasing the heat to 78-80F
MarcusTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #4 
GMPalace

Thanks everyone! We changed the water, upped the heater and added a few drops of water conditioner. Leo immediately perked up, swimming around and much more active. This morning his fins were back to normal and there were a few bubble nests. We also got a test kit for the water. THANK YOU!!
GMPalace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #5 
Myates

Glad to hear he is better! 78-80* is what you are aiming for in temp.
I would avoid spring water as it lacks the proper nutrients/minerals needed that you get out of tap- just plain tap with water conditioner is all that is needed.
Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote