Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2011, 06:14 AM   #1 
scrap

-sigh-....removing bleach?

My grandmother, after hearing my plans to get a new aquarium for Christmas, offered her old 10g. She said she'd clean it, which last time involved bleach (the reason she no longer needs it.) How do I clean my new tank and filter?
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:25 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

Bleach will evaporate.
Just leave the tank to dry for a few days (in the sun if possible), rinse again and use.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:51 AM   #3 
ksage505

Bleach isn't a problem. Just make sure you rinse it extremely well and you shouldn't have any issues. I often use bleach to clean my aquariums and the decor and I've never had any issues.
ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #4 
Tisia

if it had any kinds of added scents or soaps you can use white vinegar to remove any residue. for pure bleach, like the previous posters said, just rinse it really well. you can also double dose dechlorinator if you're really paranoid
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:01 PM   #5 
Laki

I would deem it safe when, after rinsing thoroughly, you can squeak your fingers on it like a clean plastic tupperware. Bleach's residue is almost thin and slimy but after evaporating it and rinsing again rub your fingers on it to hear the squeak :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:24 PM   #6 
Bambi

rise and air dry, vinger if you'd like to be safe as they've said.

I switch off and either use vinger or bleach when i clean my tanks depending on what i have on hand.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:55 PM   #7 
gbose

I cleaned my new (used) tank with bleach, as I didn't know what had been in it. Rinse, fill with water and add dechlorinator, let stand for a day. Rinse again and you're good to go.

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:03 PM   #8 
FuulieQ

I always just add a ton of dechlor, empty and let air-dry somewhere with good air circulation, but then again I've never bought a used tank so I always knew exactly what I put in it.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #9 
PixelatedPaint

Just dont use bleach on porous things like certain kinds of rocks...they may absorb and then release. Bleach is fine for many other things so just rinse well and let dry in the sun like others have previously mentioned. Something else I like to use is vinegar...it works well for algae... I've bought several used aquariums covered in dry algae...20 mins in a part water and vinegar mix and presto wiped off.

I prefer vinegar over bleach.
PixelatedPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:58 PM   #10 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedPaint View Post
Just dont use bleach on porous things like certain kinds of rocks...they may absorb and then release. Bleach is fine for many other things so just rinse well and let dry in the sun like others have previously mentioned. Something else I like to use is vinegar...it works well for algae... I've bought several used aquariums covered in dry algae...20 mins in a part water and vinegar mix and presto wiped off.

I prefer vinegar over bleach.
how long should ornaments with algea bathe in vinegar? im having algea issues on ornments. some parts are harder to clean or too much for a toothbrush to do.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote