Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2011, 11:28 PM   #1 
nel3

kritter keepers harder to heat?

does anyone notice there might be a difference in heating capability with KK vs proper fish tanks? i have 4 25w elite mini heaters. i have a 2.5 minibow, marina glass 5g and a acrylic 1g qt (brand name planet).

the 5gal glass is holding at 25c with 60-70% on the setting range. the 2.5mini bow is 27c with 80% setting. my 2.7g kritter keeper is 90% at 28c. i dont think i can go over 29c with the 25w heater for my 2.7KK. i dont have any complaints on it. does anyone else find plastic or acrylic tanks harder to heat than glass tanks?
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:09 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I've never had a problem heating my kritter keepers. The main problem I have is that the water evaporates pretty quickly.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #3 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I've never had a problem heating my kritter keepers. The main problem I have is that the water evaporates pretty quickly.
i do notice the water does evaporate quicker but its just weird seeing two identical heaters and the smaller tank requires a higher setting. plstic probably insulates worse than glass. that being said, the KK was still a good deal for me as id have to pay a good deal more for a similar size tank. theres an LRS that sell coverless bare bottom for excellent prices ie 20g for $25. though coverless and bare tank is the bad part of the deal if i wanted to set up a cycled tank in some cases.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, I have a big evaporation problem. You could probably put saran wrap on top, leaving part of it uncovered to let air in.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #5 
kfryman

This is just my guess.

Kritter keepers have very open tops and probably have the thinnest walls, acrylic is better then that because of a less open top, then glass have thick walls that would keep in more heat and have a fitting top.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #6 
nel3

the KK also werent meant to house fish or atleast its not really advertised to do that from what ive seen on the paper that comes in the KK upon sale. the KK still work well enough. i can easily see the plastic in it being a big issue for heat retention.

i have 2 3.3g KK. one has a 7.5''x6'' sliding panel on the cover and another with a 4''x3'' panel. the larger one holds the heat in more. the smaller one is better for my crested gecko as the humidity can drop to 50-60% where the larger one needs 2-3 days to even get to 60%. it only drops 10-15% humidity during the day during evening mistings.