Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-12-2011, 04:21 PM   #1 
zimmerb0922

odd white spots on fins

i've had my fish for about three months and he is very active and healthy. I feed him betta tablets usually 3 once a day and clean his water 100% weekly. Hes in a 2 gallon tank and he has a heater that keeps the water between 78-80 i use fizzing tablets when i change the water to get rid of chlorine and anything else and usually i have a plant on top of his vase with clean roots that hang in the water. but today i just noticed that he has white or discolored spots on his top dorsal fin right where they connect to his body and his bottom fin in the same spots. I've done a lot of research today to try and figure out whats wrong with him but all the answers come up inconclusive. any ideas?

Last edited by zimmerb0922; 12-12-2011 at 04:25 PM.
zimmerb0922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #2 
xXGalaxyXx

Are you sure he's not a marble? The different colored patches on his body make him look a bit like one, not to mention he doesn't have any behavioral changes (that you mentioned, anyways). Betta's with the marble gene will change color throughout their lives, and if he is a marble then these spots might just be a normal change in color for him. If not, though, I'm not sure - they really don't look too much like a disease or anything that I know of. o.o
xXGalaxyXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #3 
zimmerb0922

ive never even heard of a marble. this is my first betta. and i did a lot of research on them before i got one but nothing told me that they could change colors. how do i know if he is? and do they usually lose their color or gain more cause his spots look transparent to me.. like the fin is deteriorating or something.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #4 
zimmerb0922

also. i have a fluorescent light above him. could that be doing anything?
Old 12-13-2011, 04:40 PM   #5 
Myates

Hi and welcome :)

Sometimes they change colors naturally, once in a good clean environment- normally though it would be more colorful.

Loss of color could be a few different reasons, the ones popping in my head right now is not enough proper nutrition, and possibly the water chemistry..

A few questions to help us figure out what is going on;

Unsure of what those tabs are- as what is common and recommended normally are the liquid drops that neutralize ammonia/nitrates, binds heavy metals. What are the names of the fizzing tabs?

In a 2 gallon unfiltered, I would go with 1 50% and 1 100% water change per week- as that is ideal to keep the ammonia/nitrates down and make it safe for him.

I do applaud you having an in tank heater!

As for the plant above his vase- what kind of plant is it? A lot of plants sold in "betta vases" aren't really ideal, most of the time they are peace lillies I believe.
The plants will not do him any good as they have potential leech things into the water, block the surface for them to get air/food easily, they can easily snag a fin, etc.
Bettas tend to do a lot better with silk or live plants (proper aquatic plants) in their tank to swim in, sleep on.. and a lot of males absolutely love a cave of sorts to hide in.

The florescent lighting would not cause loss of pigment in their fins.

You say 3 tablets a day- what is the brand? 3 a day is on the low end of feeding, I would suggest feeding twice daily, 2-3 pellets per meal.

It may just be his natural coloration- but normally loss of pigmentation, from what I understand, is mostly due to diet.

Last edited by Myates; 12-13-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:47 PM   #6 
zimmerb0922

the tabs are an aqua culture betta care kit. it comes with food and the tablets that neutralize tap water.. or so it says.

i can start changing the water more often but do i leave him in there when i do it and how to i neutralize the water then

the plant is a peace lily... the people at the store said it would be okay with him but i might have read somewhere that its not good for him but idk hes seemed okay with it up until now

and i can start feeding him more. i've gotten so many conflicting feeding diets for them that i just didn't know what to do. i figured under feeding would be better than over feeding.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:09 PM   #7 
Myates

Aqua Culture isn't a bad brand- I have used their pellets here and there and have had no problems with it. If you are worried about over feeding, then I would go ahead and just feed 2 pellets in the morning, and 2 at night. It will give him a little bit of extra nutrition, but not over doing it. I would also recommend, if possible, frozen blood worms or brine shrimp, as they are high in protein and the shrimp are higher in fiber.
Since I can't say he is losing his color because of his diet for sure- a higher protein, rounded diet will definitely benefit him regardless.

Peace lillies are used more often because they do well in a lot of water- normally should be potted and kept moist, but will survive in a vase of water for some time.
I can't say for sure what exactly it does to the water, so personally, I just leave my lillies in their pot lol.

With the 50% I would go ahead and remove him unless you are sure you can get the temp within one degree of the tank's temp (you can use a thermometer).. if you don't believe you can, or are afraid, it would be best to remove him and then acclimate him afterward as to not risk him going into shock from temp dropping/raising suddenly.

I would suggest getting a liquid water conditioner soon- never have used those tabs personally, so I can't say whether or not they actually work.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #8 
zimmerb0922

update:

so ive been feeding him two times a day and i made sure i super scrubbed his tank of wednesday and did a 100% water change but more of his fins are losing color. what else can i do?
Old 12-17-2011, 02:57 PM   #9 
zimmerb0922

update again::

hes not eating. i did a 100% water change, the second one this week and put him back in tried feeding him (blood worms) which he didn't even touch and then his regular pellets which he tried to eat and then spit back out. plus his fins just dont look good