Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2011, 02:17 AM   #1 
Myrtaceae

Please brag about your sororities!

I've always wanted to try a female betta sorority, and I have been reading up on it even more recently. I'm a bit worried because most of the people who post on forums about sororities seem to be posting because they have problems. Well, I'm hoping that's because the people who don't have problems don't need to post.

Please tell me about your awesome betta sororities!

Pictures are a bonus. If you've ever wanted to brag, I'm a total captive audience here and will gush about your female fish. Seriously. I know pet owners; we all can talk for days about our babies. Tell me all about yours! Quirks, habits, etc...

I'm currently planning a 20gal+ tank with at least 6-7 female bettas. I want to do it right; I just need to convince myself they will not kill each other. This will probably be happening in the spring because we need to save up the money for a larger tank and have enough in reserve in case we need to house particularly aggressive females separately. I've read the separate recommendation threads for ideas, but I particularly want to hear from those who have had a sorority for 6 months or more (though anyone is welcome!).

So please share your success stories!
Myrtaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:30 AM   #2 
LittleBettas

Not a COMPLETE success story as I have had a set back in STARTING....
I have a 10 gallon with 6-7 females.... 5 are from the same spawn by Darkmoon (one, the smallest, has been having issues swimming so the start has been on hold) the other two are spawn sisters from Cajun.... everyone is floating in the 10 gallon heated... and so far there has been min. flaring... from everyone except Echo... one of my gals from Cajun.... shes a fierce gal and either will end up being Alpha... or if she turns out to aggressive, will be removed completely from the sorority... fingers crossed!
right now Im certain if she does not end up being Alpha, my black girl from Darkmoon will be.... though Merle... my other female from Cajun is bigger... she is a mellow gal who prefers to stick to herself, lol

Most people recommend that you stick to spawn sisters.... at least on your first go around ;)

I dont have any pictures of my setup.... my phone pooped out on me :( my only camera :( but I do have pictures of the gals :D though I need to get more recent ones!

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=87701
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:40 AM   #3 
Myrtaceae

Thanks for responding LittleBettas! I'm definitely thinking it's worth it to stick with spawn sisters. I've been lurking for a bit and Darkmoon has gorgeous fish, doesn't she? Well, I guess you have them now too! I can't wait to see how yours get along.

It's so funny. The largest betta I ever had ended up being the best suited for a a community tank and one of the smaller ones was such a terror I couldn't even keep ghost shrimp with him. . We figured it was a Napoleon complex.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:37 AM   #4 
GreenTea

Here's a link to my sorority log, keeping track of and explaining my process and why I did the things I did. It has tons of photos. I consider sororities and giant bettas my area of expertise in the betta world so feel free to ask me questions any time!

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=82286

Be sure to ask my friend Tisia about her sorority experience as well, she went with a natural planted tank and has a successful sorority.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:00 AM   #5 
Myrtaceae

Oh gosh, your girls are beautiful. I have a special fondness for royal blues, and that yellow/blue marbled girl you added recently is particularly stunning.

I probably should have waited to post this thread! Both of the responses so far have made me want to start sooner than is advisable. I want to make sure I have a nicely established tank before I buy any fish for it. I will definitely be picking everyone's brain once I get started, and I really appreciate the offer of advice.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:49 AM   #6 
GreenTea

And omg youre in Washington? Where in Washington? I'm adding you! I add the NW people so we can network! I'm currently growing out a spawn from a yellow marble and a koi marble, I have a spawn log in the breeding section, maybe there will be some girls you like in a couple months :)
Old 12-17-2011, 08:20 PM   #7 
Myrtaceae

Tacoma! I'm about 2-3 hours north I think.

If your fry resemble their parents in the slightest, I'm sure I'll be part of a long line of people after them! It would be way cool to support a local breeder & know that the fish had been cared for well.

Also, I just announced 'there is a girl near us who is breeding right now!' and got the strangest look.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:00 PM   #8 
GreenTea

Hahahah awesome. Well I'm from Seattle and I'm up here now so it's not too far away! There's a girl in Everett I'm friends with, and Tisia is down in SW WA like I am.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:08 PM   #9 
BettaFriend15

I used to have a grand total of 10 females. i was addicted to rescuing haha still am. But i moved in with my nanny so i had to give up my big tank and most of my girls. I got a divider tank now. So cute fact, my girls used to blow bubbles and another girl would join in and pop those bubbles and this routine would go for maybe half an hour sometimes haha. But what they most like doing was hiding and chasing each other, kind of like hide and seek but in the fish world lol. I could go on all day, but my first soroitry was probably my pride and joy of fish keeping, most succesful set up i've ever had haha
BettaFriend15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:33 AM   #10 
Myrtaceae

@GreenTea: there really is a lot of us I guess!

@BettaFriend15: Love it! Did any of the girls get mad about another popping her bubbles?