Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2011, 10:05 AM   #11 
Arashi Takamine

Phew...

Herm...Well I can only suggest you do your best, keep the tank at 78, do frequent waterchanges and hope for the best. With fry it's hard to tell especially if their from Petco. I can say though for the time of year to when exiting the store hold the cup to your chest with your jacket shielding it so it doesnt lose too much temp and your body's natural heat will keep it warm and keep the heater on in the car too and then acclimate as you would an adult fish.

EDIT: I'm gonna take a nap but if you got anymore questions PM me and I'll do my best and also look through the breeding section here on the forum as there's always a lot of tips on betta fry care there and a lot of experienced breeders are on here too.

Last edited by Arashi Takamine; 12-17-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #12 
Myates

Definitely baby food for them.. a lot of experienced keepers are having a hard time keeping them alive. I wish they didn't sell the babies.. a lot of them won't make it due to the extra care they need.
There are a few other threads on the forum here about these little ones..
Here is one that others have talked about some of their experiences with them:
Thread..
And a couple more:
Thread 1
Thread 2

They might help you in what you will need to know in care of the little one.

And pics would be fun!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #13 
Sakura8

If hatching BBS is too hard/too much work, frozen baby brine shrimp fed by an eyedropper works too but be prepared to siphon out extra food that isn't eaten. BBS is messy.

I agree, Myates. So far, the feedback I'm hearing about these poor babies is that they're too young to withstand the shipping and the treatment they get at Petco. I would be willing to bet, based on experience with another tiny but not quite baby girl that many of these babies will starve to death because all they do is drop Hikari pellets in, way too big for a baby's mouth.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:25 PM   #14 
nel3

baby betta seem to be a new craze. one LPS still has decent 1-1 1/4 length betta. another has mostly 1 inches and a small LPS has 3/4 to 1 inch betta. first time i saw some that small on sale.

i do find frozen BBS are relatively easy to feed. i put them on a tupperware container and let the water content drip down and push up the actual food. its still stlightly harder but its not too much work
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #15 
gossipgirl1031

I successfully got one through the really critical time. She's doubled in size and has finally gotten to move to a bigger tank and can handle the current from the filter. I have to turn it on for a few hours and leave it off for a few hours. They have high calorie demands and need it to be WARM. I finally moved Siobhan into her bigger tank and needed to go back to the store for more supplies when I saw how fast the other babies were dying off. So Thursday, I took in 2 more and they now seem to be doing okay. I had a return last night and found all of the babies except for 2 dead. I couldn't leave them there. So, I am getting a lot of hands on experience with these guys. So for tips (and I'm no expert at all-just sharing my own experiences):frequent water changes (mine are in smaller tanks because they are too weak to fight the current & so I do perform a lot of water changes by choice), feedings every 6 hours or so (chopped up bloodworms or New Life for small fish pellets) and warmth. Feel free to ask any questions, I may not be an expert, but I'm learning as I go.
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #16 
gossipgirl1031

Oh, I forgot. I would do the BBS, but I have no access to them in order to feed them now. I'd have to order online and wait. I've heard good things about them though. Good luck :)
Old 12-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #17 
CalvinWill

My Petco Baby is doing just fine. I've got him in a 1 gallon tank that leaches heat from the adults tanks at stays right at 78. No filter, just a waterchange every other day. I was worried about the little guy, but her is more resiliant then I expected.

Only thing different from my adults is I feed him New Life Spectrum Small Fish. The pellets are .5mm and he has no problem getting them down till he is about to pop.

Many people have had bad times trying to keep their babies alive. If this one doesn't make it, you tried. Better then dying in a cold cup at petco.

Enjoy.
CalvinWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #18 
gossipgirl1031

Baby pics are now up on my page. Can't figure out how to do them on the thread.