Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #1 
MoonyTonight

Is this fin rot or am I mistaken?

Hello all, my betta's fins aren't looking so good. The last day or so I noticed that a single fin was looking a little torn. Thinking it might heal itself up I didn't do anything, but started to keep a close eye on it.

Today when I went for his weekly water change his fins looked worse. Is this fin rot? I keep his water clean; I also do my best to keep bacteria out of his water, and I do weekly and monthly changes 25 -50 respectively. I can post using that guideline, but before I do that I figured these 3 pictures would suffice.

He's VERY active and getting a clear picture is next to impossible. Here are 3 I got. If anyone could tell me what this looks like and what the appropriate course of action would be I'd appreciate it.
Attached Images

MoonyTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Are the edges of his fins blackened and is he losing big chunks of fin at a time? Or are the edges white and fuzzy? If not, then I'd say he's finbiting. From the pics, that's what it looks like to me but if the edges are blackened, then it could be the beginning stages of fin rot.

Just let me know how big his tank is. Depending on the size and if you are cycled or not, 25% a week may not be enough. But while his fins are all torn up, definitely up the water changes no matter what because you want the water as clean as possible to prevent infection. You may want to also get API Stress Coat to add to the water, it's very good for fin regeneration.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:22 PM   #3 
MoonyTonight

It's a 10 gallon tank and it is cycled. The edges do look blackened. I have just gone out and got him a better heater as well to keep his water at a constant 80 degrees instead of 77-78. I'm definitely going to increase my water changes. Is there any signs or something that I need to keep an eye out for?

Last edited by MoonyTonight; 12-17-2011 at 12:39 PM. Reason: more info
Old 12-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Oh, 10 gallons, no wonder. Sorry, I'm so used to small tanks that I automatically assume every tank is 3 gallons or under. o.O Sorry about that. 25% is fine for a cycled 10g but even so, if you want, you can up that to 30% a week while his fins are healing.

Watch to see if the edges of his fins start turning black, develop a white fuzz, or if you see red streaks going up the fins. These are all signs of fin rot. Along with clean water, you can also feed him a high protein diet, like lots of frozen bloodworms.

Good luck with him! He's sure a handsome guy.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #5 
MoonyTonight

Thanks :) I try to treat him right. I've got some frozen bloodworms in the freezer so I'll start treating him to some. I'll increase the water changes a little bit.

Could you tell me if you've seen this before? My guess is the fin on the bottom of the tank. I got a clear picture of it.
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Looks like poo. If the pellets he eats have a slightly reddish tinge to them, then the poo most likely will too.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:25 PM   #7 
MoonyTonight

Yea he has a mixture of red and green pellets. With bloodworms on occasion. Thanks for all your help :) and I will be buying that stress coat tomorrow. One last question.

Can I just drop the stress coat treatment in or do I have to add more water? I've never had a betta with fin rot before so I'm flying blind here. Thanks again for everything!
Old 12-18-2011, 08:57 PM   #8 
Sakura8

You can just drop the Stress Coat in. It works both as a water conditioner OR as an additive. For your 10g, I think the medical dose is an entire capful.