Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2011, 10:18 PM   #1 
thejapanesezombie

reverse syphoning?

has anyone tried it? I rinse my gravel vac and then syphon new water into the tank. Almost like a backwards gravel vac.

I think my betta seems to find it less stressful and wanted to know if anyone else did this instead of pouring the water back in there :S
thejapanesezombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:27 PM   #2 
acadialover

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejapanesezombie View Post
has anyone tried it? I rinse my gravel vac and then syphon new water into the tank. Almost like a backwards gravel vac.

I think my betta seems to find it less stressful and wanted to know if anyone else did this instead of pouring the water back in there :S
I do that in my big tanks from the faucet, but only have 5 gallon BEtta tanks.
How do you do it ? FRom the faucet ?
acadialover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #3 
thejapanesezombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadialover View Post
I do that in my big tanks from the faucet, but only have 5 gallon BEtta tanks.
How do you do it ? FRom the faucet ?

I also have a 5 gallon (it's 5.5 actually but close enough hehe)

I usually leave water in a big pot over night to settle. Then I have bucket ready for old water. I gravel vac/ syphon old water out. Then I go to the faucet downstairs and rinse out the tubing so there are no old traces of water left. Then I come back up and hold the pot higher than the tank itself, (I usually set it over the open top so I'm not holding it until my arms are like jello) and do the same with the clean pot into the tank. I think Aldo seems less disturbed by it than when I pour water in, that and I'm not disturbing the plants/ substrate too much either.

Do you find it a lot more gentle too? How are you going about it?
Old 12-20-2011, 01:29 AM   #4 
vilmarisv

That's the only way I introduce new water into fry tanks.
Instead of a gravel vac, I use airline tubing. It's smaller and the water is not dusturbed much... takes a long time but it's best.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #5 
Myates

I would be careful leaving water in a metal pot over night as you may end up with trace metals in the water that could be dangerous- unless you use a water conditioner that specifically says it binds metals.

I never used a reverse siphon to add in water.. bigger tanks never had fish stress out too much, and my betta tanks are filter-less so they are removed for all water changes and added back once the water is filled back up.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #6 
thejapanesezombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
That's the only way I introduce new water into fry tanks.
Instead of a gravel vac, I use airline tubing. It's smaller and the water is not dusturbed much... takes a long time but it's best.
:D that's fantastic! My gravel vac is really small so it doesn't disturb much either, the tubing is a bit less than an inch in diameter, it's meant for a small tank! O.o I'm glad I'm not the only one doing this!
Old 12-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #7 
thejapanesezombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
I would be careful leaving water in a metal pot over night as you may end up with trace metals in the water that could be dangerous- unless you use a water conditioner that specifically says it binds metals.

I never used a reverse siphon to add in water.. bigger tanks never had fish stress out too much, and my betta tanks are filter-less so they are removed for all water changes and added back once the water is filled back up.
Really? It's a kitchen pot that we boil water in. It's fairly new. It's the only thing I'm able to lug that much water upstairs from my hard water tap in the kitchen. I was totally unaware that the metal could pose a problem! I'll look for a plastic bucket if I can get my hands on one
Old 12-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #8 
Pitluvs

I do this with sick Bettas, I siphon water out and then siphon it back in with airline hose. For all my others, I don't as I usually am doing 100% changes or using a cup with 50% changes.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #9 
thejapanesezombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
I do this with sick Bettas, I siphon water out and then siphon it back in with airline hose. For all my others, I don't as I usually am doing 100% changes or using a cup with 50% changes.
I wish I had known this a whole lot sooner! >w< it's nicer than pouring 2 and a half gallons of water in a 5 gallon tank, it seems less harsh @ . @
Old 12-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #10 
fishman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejapanesezombie View Post
Really? It's a kitchen pot that we boil water in. It's fairly new. It's the only thing I'm able to lug that much water upstairs from my hard water tap in the kitchen. I was totally unaware that the metal could pose a problem! I'll look for a plastic bucket if I can get my hands on one
If there are home depots in Canada, Home Depot has 5 gallon buckets for $5.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote