Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2011, 03:23 PM   #1 
mardi

Fin Rot Frustration

Today while observing Remedio, I noticed he still has black areas on the bottom of his anal fin. He has obvious signs of fin regrowth on parts of his anal and caudal fin, which excites me.

He had fin rot when I brought him home, and I know that, sometimes, fin rot clears up on it's own, with proper conditions. I brought him home this past Monday and had him in epsom/stress coat for the first few days and have been doing 100% changes daily with just stress coat as an additive since then.

I told myself I would wait until tomorrow's water change to decide if I should start with AQ salt treatments. Does anyone think that might be a little too soon to make that decision? The rot hasn't gotten any worse since I brought him home and I thought it looked like it had gotten better yesterday, but today it looks pretty close to the same as when I had originally brought him home.

Any advice would be welcome. At this point, I'm tempted to just open up a can of AQ Salt on it's........rump, with tonight's water change.

Last edited by mardi; 12-17-2011 at 03:25 PM.
mardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:04 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Can you post a pic...for minor fin rot-often just clean dechlorinated like temp water with frequent water changes is all that need to be done and adding tannins can help as well...along with patience.....and a good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals....

If the fin tips are blacken/discolored, crusty, tattered and he is clamping fins, going off food...etc....then more aggressive treatment may be needed....

Discolored or black fin tips don't always mean fin rot....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #3 
mardi

Thanks so much for the reply!

His history is that I brought him home from a pet store with the fin rot already having taken a nice portion of his fins. I've had him in a tiny, hospital tank with daily water changes since I brought him home, last Monday.
I finally got a heater all set up, that seems to be working nicely and have a nice 1.75 gallon more comfortable temporary home set up for him with a silk plant and little lantern home. I'm just concerned because he had very apparent black areas on his anal fin when I got him, which still seems to be there, though he has fin regrowth in some areas.

I'm just kind of on the fence if I want to put him in this new home or leave the decorations out and start him on AQ Salts for a few days, to see what happens. I've never dealt with Fin Rot before, and he was in such a bad state when I got him, I really want to give the little dear the best care possible. Regardless, I plan on putting him in the larger tank, even if it is just with a heater at first.

Here is a link to the journal section of this website where I've been posting pictures and keeping track of his behavior. He seems to he a really happy and active fish otherwise.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=88135

Thanks again, OFL!

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Can you post a pic...for minor fin rot-often just clean dechlorinated like temp water with frequent water changes is all that need to be done and adding tannins can help as well...along with patience.....and a good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals....

If the fin tips are blacken/discolored, crusty, tattered and he is clamping fins, going off food...etc....then more aggressive treatment may be needed....

Discolored or black fin tips don't always mean fin rot....
Old 12-18-2011, 11:10 AM   #4 
mardi

Here are pictures I just took yesterday.
(Just realized they didn't upload to my post from yesterday).
Attached Images